Is my Lobo okay..?

Drew1600

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I found a very reasonably priced single-headed Lobo frag about a week and a half ago or so, so like a responsible reefer, I decided to snatch it up and add to the LPS collection.

Started this little guy in ~120 par for 3-4 days, moved to ~150 a few days later, then ~180 a few days after that and he was still nice and puffy the few days following. So two nights ago I decide to crank my Viparspectra back to 20% whites, where I normally run (always run 100% blues), bringing the par in the Lobo's area to approximately 200.

I have noticed that yesterday and today the Lobo's mouth is wide open. Is this a sign of stress or is he just doin his thing? Do I need to move him to a lower light area? I have a Blasto, two Hammers, a Bubble and a Torch in the near vacinity, all thriving.

Thank you all so much for the help, it is very much appreciated. :)

OP
OP
Drew1600

Drew1600

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Phone camera is not very good.. appears in the photo much more washed out than it is
20210531_223304.jpg

Sam816

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how did u acclimate it? target fed it since u got it? added amino acids since u got it?
looks like in shock to me. if u see strings flying off it then its super stressed. post your parameters as well.
It will help people in identifying the possible cause.

outhouse

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
open mouth is not good, they are pretty tough and do well with low light, Hopefully your lights are not to bright. Mine loves the bottom of the tank, Me? I would do major water changes to make sure your water is correct, and id get it to the bottom of tank

OP
OP
Drew1600

Drew1600

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I decided to lower the light back to 17% from 20% for awhile to see..

Current Params:
*PLEASE NOTE* I JUST FINISHED BATTLING BRYOPSIS A FEW WEEKS AGO.. during this time Mg was raised and N/Phos were too low (not skimming so feeding less)

Salinity - 1.026
Temp - 25 C
Alk - 9.6
ph - 8.0
Nitrate - currently ~10, used to run ~5, may continue to raise
Phosphate - .5 as I wildly overfed for a few days following the battle to compensate for low nutrients (corals not doing good), will continue to lower to .1-.2 or so? What does everyone think? Using GFO & dosing Ultra Life's liquid phosphate remover as needed. Ran .025 prior and it was not enough
Mg - 1430, in the process of lowering still

I daily dose Coral Amino and target feed (Reef Riods, Fuel, AB+, Reef Chili, various planktons, pods, etc.) twice a week.

I plan to do a 5 gallon water change in the next few days depending on nutrient levels.

OP
OP
Drew1600

Drew1600

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As for acclimation, a quick cup to bag acclimation followed by a series of dips is my process.
For lighting acclimation see OP.

outhouse

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to feed fish chunks to my lobo, but they do not need any food, just clean water and light. Id do water changes, mine loves that more then anything.

OP
OP
Drew1600

Drew1600

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah phos is high, normally not. Have been lowering, spiked a few days back from overfeeding (see post #5 to explain)

Back