Is my Orange Sea Star Sick?

Boaz1021

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had lost one sea star a few months ago (I found it buried in the sand bed, falling apart). This is my largest star, and today I noticed this white goo coming from one his arms. I'm assuming this is a bad sign, but I wanted to ask the experts if there was anything I could do to help it.

I still have a brittle star and sand star that seem to be doing well, so I don't know why the orange stars aren't doing well also.

Side Note, my tank is a 150 gallon reef, all softies and LPS. I keep it at 78°, all the other parameters are standard and stable. The only issue I've had is that my wifi went out about 3 weeks so and my tank heater didn't turn off (since they're controlled by Hydros wifi strip) so they didn't turn off until I manually restarted the Hydros and it connected to Wifi. It got up 85°, but I didn't lose anything that week...

20220614_164831.jpg

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately when their limbs develop a bacterial infection like this there's not a lot you can do. Either it heals itself and the leg grows back -or- it progresses towards the center of the starfish in which case it isn't long for this world.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Would the bone shears for fragging corals work? Maybe paint iodine one the wound?
Razor and im always reluctant to do this step but it is the recourse.
Linkia stars are one of the most challenging and require pristine water conditions

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Fromia also and love it. They have a natural defense against biofouling and I'm pretty sure that when their defense weakens to a certain point they're not in very good shape especially when they start falling apart.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 12 8.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 48 34.0%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 47 33.3%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 32 22.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.4%
Back