Is my Orange Sea Star Sick?

Boaz1021

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Mar 28, 2021
Messages
134
Reaction score
72
Location
Flowood
What state or country do you live in
Mississippi
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had lost one sea star a few months ago (I found it buried in the sand bed, falling apart). This is my largest star, and today I noticed this white goo coming from one his arms. I'm assuming this is a bad sign, but I wanted to ask the experts if there was anything I could do to help it.

I still have a brittle star and sand star that seem to be doing well, so I don't know why the orange stars aren't doing well also.

Side Note, my tank is a 150 gallon reef, all softies and LPS. I keep it at 78°, all the other parameters are standard and stable. The only issue I've had is that my wifi went out about 3 weeks so and my tank heater didn't turn off (since they're controlled by Hydros wifi strip) so they didn't turn off until I manually restarted the Hydros and it connected to Wifi. It got up 85°, but I didn't lose anything that week...


20220614_164831.jpg
 
Unfortunately when their limbs develop a bacterial infection like this there's not a lot you can do. Either it heals itself and the leg grows back -or- it progresses towards the center of the starfish in which case it isn't long for this world.
 
Would the bone shears for fragging corals work? Maybe paint iodine one the wound?
Razor and im always reluctant to do this step but it is the recourse.
Linkia stars are one of the most challenging and require pristine water conditions
 
I have a Fromia also and love it. They have a natural defense against biofouling and I'm pretty sure that when their defense weakens to a certain point they're not in very good shape especially when they start falling apart.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 6 24.0%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 13 52.0%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 3 12.0%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 8 32.0%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 3 12.0%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 12 48.0%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 7 28.0%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 4 16.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new