Is my pectinia dead

furyofthegnomes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello. So I finally pulled the trigger on this Radioactive Pectinia I've been eyeing up for a while. Won it in auction and received it 4 days ago. This week at work was a little crazy and I was putting in a lot of overtime and well it was my birthday so I was out and about and not staring at my tank as much. When doing some maintenance this evening I look at my pectinia and it is very sunken in and pretty rough looking. Is it a goner? Haven't done the whole gamut of tests but so far the only thing a bit off is my phospahte is high, everything else is looking good. I run triton and sent a sample in a month ago and a few things were low including potassium but I've dosed and they should all be good.
phosphate 0.19
alk 7.5
nitrate 0.25
mag 1491
cal 666

20190210_195808.jpg 20190210_195650.jpg

OP
OP
furyofthegnomes

furyofthegnomes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This was it on Thursday night. Don't mind the algae on the frag rack, I've since pulled it out. It didn't look bad. Any chance of it coming around? 1549849200078_0_IMG-c402c2cab24977fb0ff73b0d1d379d69-V.jpg

OP
OP
furyofthegnomes

furyofthegnomes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can I cut it with some coral snips? I don't have a saw. Will they do more harm by crushing the skeleton as they cut?

Braves Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My impression of the second picture is that the coral is alive ,, jmo ,, try and feed it some Reef Roids ,, use the coke bottle trick ,, I wouldn't frag it ,, if its stressed ,, and not sure that it is ,, that might put it over the edge ,, give it some food ,,, then give it some time ,, I would take it off that frag rack also ,, put it on your sand bed ,, might be getting to much light ,, this is what I think the problem is ,,

Last edited:
OP
OP
furyofthegnomes

furyofthegnomes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes it did survive! Hooray! I think my water was too clean as I had almost no nitrates. I raised my nitrates some and paid special attention to the pectinia when I was spot feeding and it came around after a few weeks. I did also move the frag rack to a lower light spot for a while when it was recovering, I didn't put it on the sand as I had a big Hawkwing conch that would have trampled it. It's been a slow grower but its looking good at least.

Braves Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My frag sit there for several months ,, 4 or 5 with nothing much happening ,, no growth ,, faded color, but it came to me looking faded ,, no polyp extension ,, then it started to grow and have polyp extension ,, its now about 4 maybe 5 times the size it was ,, and not as faded any longer ,, glad to hear yours is doing better :) Picture :)

OP
OP
furyofthegnomes

furyofthegnomes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's great news, I hope mine has a growth spurt soon. I also had a rocky 8 months with my tank so it doesn't surprise me that it hasn't really taken off yet. I run Triton and around 8 months ago my chaeto started dying off because I let it get too big, about half of it died before I figured out what was going wrong. Then came the green hair algae from the nutrients, killed that with vibrant but the vibrant also did a number on my corals as well. And of course once I stopped the vibrant I got green slime. I've been fighting that with water changes and kz cyano clean. So I'll post a picture later just so long as you dont mind the green slime photobombing as well.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 73 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 70 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back