Is my return pump strong enough?

Cflip

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 58 gallon tank with a 4 foot overhead running from a sump. I'm running a 10 year old mag5 pump. Do they lose pressure over time?

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fine. (Duplicate answer. :D)

2x to 4x your display volume in actual gallons per hour is all the flow you need to do the job of feeding skimmers and reactors and such.

Most folks end up aiming for the top end of that range, but depending on the pump you want and it's actual capability it's good to know you're fine anywhere in that range. Some pump makers won't have a model that hits right at 4x for example.

Some makers like Lifegard (Quiet One)* even factor in wear and tear and plumbing buildup in their flow charts, so there isn't even a need to "go 5x just in case". The numbers are already appropriately conservative.

*Some less established brands seem to have flow charts that are more optimistic, so caveat emptor applies.

OP
OP
Cflip

Cflip

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fine. (Duplicate answer. :D)

2x to 4x your display volume in actual gallons per hour is all the flow you need to do the job of feeding skimmers and reactors and such.

Most folks end up aiming for the top end of that range, but depending on the pump you want and it's actual capability it's good to know you're fine anywhere in that range. Some pump makers won't have a model that hits right at 4x for example.

Some makers like Lifegard (Quiet One)* even factor in wear and tear and plumbing buildup in their flow charts, so there isn't even a need to "go 5x just in case". The numbers are already appropriately conservative.

*Some less established brands seem to have flow charts that are more optimistic, so caveat emptor applies.

Wow now that seems low. Answers are all over the board on this I guess. From 300-950 gallons per hour.

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Higher numbers are old-school answers or from tanks where they are trying to do some of the display's water movement with the return pump. Not to say that higher flow doesn't work, but it's the most expensive way to achieve flow in the display and it is a little old-fashioned. ;) In most situations it's just not advisable.

OP
OP
Cflip

Cflip

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would it help me get rid of this? I'm thinking not even flow in my tank.

IMG_8609.JPG

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doubtful flow will be the cure.

Lots of questions....brace yourself. :)

What are the tank's test numbers like, do you know?

And how old is the tank again? (Hard to tell, but looks like it could be newish.)

Lighting? Do you keep coral?

What do you feed?

How do you clean the tank and manage nutrients?

OP
OP
Cflip

Cflip

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank is currently in Fallow. Not doing much to it. It was running for years but I changed some rock upgraded lights and added a skimmer. Also have chemi blue in my sump right now. Running after upgrades for about three months.

OP
OP
Cflip

Cflip

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have a couple of soft corals and a star fish in there now

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I changed some rock upgraded lights and added a skimmer.

If this algae bloom is new, these changes may be all the explanation needed...increasing lights and moving rocks/releasing nutrients into the water is sort of a perfect recipe.

It should still settle out in a few weeks. I'd wait to take any action.

michaelrp

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like new tank syndrome. Most likely from new rocks being added and those rocks are now cycling. Suck it out and don't let it turn into Cyanobacteria. Keep up with water changes and you will be fine. Going light on feedings will also help.

OP
OP
Cflip

Cflip

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If this algae bloom is new, these changes may be all the explanation needed...increasing lights and moving rocks/releasing nutrients into the water is sort of a perfect recipe.

It should still settle out in a few weeks. I'd wait to take any action.

What action would I take if it continues?

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dig deeper. :)

Make sure it's not a problem sand bed.
Make sure your RODI filters are updated.
Et al.

What lights are you running? What settings? (Take a lux or PAR measurement if you can.)

OP
OP
Cflip

Cflip

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Replaced all filters upgraded to a dual membrane RO/DI system. Running 8 hours a day pro led lights with ramp times and two hours of actinic. Tank has been running long enough that this should be gone. Maybe run gfo? Tank is now in fallow so a good time to fix any issues. I know it's not due to overfeeding!

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like I said, I'd wait a few weeks before worrying about the other stuff.....nothing is obviously "wrong" IMO.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.2%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 43 17.7%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 162 66.7%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.5%
Back