Is my sea urchin dead?

katsreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’m pretty sure my sea urchin died. It hasn’t moved in like 2 weeks… but I read they will lose all their spines and you won’t see the tube feet anymore? Mine you can still see some spines and the tube feet. I’m scared to take it out if it actually is alive but it seems highly unlikely that it is.

vaguelyreeflike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As long as the tube feet and spines are moving, it’s alive. Your sources are correct in that they will lose their spines and feet if dead, and that happens within hours of it dying. I would give it a gentle poke and see if it reacts. Do you have photos of it and the tank?

If it doesnt have enough food in the tank, it may be starving and slowing down.

OP
OP
katsreef

katsreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As long as the tube feet and spines are moving, it’s alive. Your sources are correct in that they will lose their spines and feet if dead, and that happens within hours of it dying. I would give it a gentle poke and see if it reacts. Do you have photos of it and the tank?

If it doesnt have enough food in the tank, it may be starving and slowing down.
oh ive been moving it around and it doesn't react at all. It occasionally get knocks over by the flow or soemthing else and I keep putting it back. Maybe the current is moving the tube feet? because I am like 100% sure it's dead. It probably did starve. I've been feeding it nori but I have bad algae out competing the better algae it would be eating. won't be replacing it for a while

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

Like it’s not looking good at all and hasn’t moved. Pretty certain it’s dead

Not dead. Cavity would be empty but appears stressed. Assure phosphate level not elevated and if there is no algae and other food source, may be starving. Doing a water change and adding lugols iodine often perks them up
Salinity 1.024-1.025
temp range 76-79
ph 8.1-8.3

OP
OP
katsreef

katsreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not dead. Cavity would be empty but appears stressed. Assure phosphate level not elevated and if there is no algae and other food source, may be starving. Doing a water change and adding lugols iodine often perks them up
Salinity 1.024-1.025
temp range 76-79
ph 8.1-8.3
I just started reef flux treatment so I can't waterchange. I'll try to feed more nori tomorrow though. Thank you!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I just started reef flux treatment so I can't waterchange. I'll try to feed more nori tomorrow though. Thank you!
Flux is an algaecide and may not help with urchin and will also remove its food source

OP
OP
katsreef

katsreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Flux is an algaecide and may not help with urchin and will also remove its food source
there was no food source to begin with cuz all the algae i have is bryopsis and bubble algae and it eats neither lol. I've been feeding it nori sheets the whole time. Hoping to have better algae growth for it's food source after this kills the bryopsis

vaguelyreeflike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Place him directly on top of the nori sheets for the best chance he’ll eat some. You can also try jetting a very small amount of brine shrimp onto his feet closer to his mouth. It may not stick though due to his stressed state.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 63 39.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 21.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 56 35.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.8%
Back