Is my skimmer too big?

Jasongtr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 65/70 gallon fish only (for the moment) tank, there are 8 fish in it.

I have a clarisea 3000 filter roller and about to start using an algae reactor.

My skimmer is a red sea rsk300, the problem im getting is the skim is always light in colour and very wet, i cleaned it thoroughly recently and its now a fair bit quieter but still skims the same, there was some darker sludge in the cup lid and on the neck cleaner.

I recently watched the brs video where they suggest too big a skimmer is worse than too small, the picture shows the foam head height, i have to run it that high to even get the skim i cutrently see.

Its not even like i dont have nutients as my nitrate sits around 30 currently and was recently approaching 40.

Ive tried having it at three different water levels in the sump and it currently sits right at the factory recommend height, even tried a valve to regulate the air intake.

It's essentially a big airstone right now for all the good its doing

Do i need a smaller skimmer?
20230416_085956.jpg

OP
OP
Jasongtr

Jasongtr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like it needs to be raised a little bit the bubbles are still really small close to the collection cup.
Had it a bit lower, had it a bit higher nothing I've done in any combination of skimmer height, air flow dialing the water control in makes any difference, according to red sea this skimmer is suitable for 900 litres fish only, im about a quarter of that and ive got a fleece roller hence the title is the skimmer too big

Dbichler

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
More likely is lack of nutrients due to roller. Not much left to skim. It does have some color to it so it is taking out something. Depends on you if you want to continue to use it but I doubt that a different skimmer will change anything.

TangerineSpeedo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same skimmer. Set the outside water height to the sticker on the control rod adjuster. From there turn the control rod adjuster all the way down. then slowly turn up the adjuster until you get bubbles at the bottom of the cup. If you skim is too light still turn it down until you are happy a bit at a time. For dark skim it may be days that very little is collected. I run a roller filter also on a 40g

OP
OP
Jasongtr

Jasongtr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same skimmer. Set the outside water height to the sticker on the control rod adjuster. From there turn the control rod adjuster all the way down. then slowly turn up the adjuster until you get bubbles at the bottom of the cup. If you skim is too light still turn it down until you are happy a bit at a time. For dark skim it may be days that very little is collected. I run a roller filter also on a 40g
Hard to picture but the level is bang on, if i turn the control rod down nothing is collected
20230416_112658.jpg

peterhos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LOL I have asked the same question for 20 years now about skimmers. I also have the Red Sea 300 In a 6 month old tank with a dozen zoa, five fish and a few SPS corals. I am now getting a couple of inches of wet dark green liquid from the skimmer every 2 days. I have now learned to adjust the skimmer last of everything when switching return pump and roller mat off and on. Then let more water into the skimmer until you get those bubbles overflowing gently into the cup… at the moment my skimmer and roller mat are both working, but slowly. Keep going with constant adjustments …you’ll get there!

OP
OP
Jasongtr

Jasongtr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
More likely is lack of nutrients due to roller. Not much left to skim. It does have some color to it so it is taking out something. Depends on you if you want to continue to use it but I doubt that a different skimmer will change anything.
Nitrates are 32, phosphates .29 its got nutrients

OP
OP
Jasongtr

Jasongtr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LOL I have asked the same question for 20 years now about skimmers. I also have the Red Sea 300 In a 6 month old tank with a dozen zoa, five fish and a few SPS corals. I am now getting a couple of inches of wet dark green liquid from the skimmer every 2 days. I have now learned to adjust the skimmer last of everything when switching return pump and roller mat off and on. Then let more water into the skimmer until you get those bubbles overflowing gently into the cup… at the moment my skimmer and roller mat are both working, but slowly. Keep going with constant adjustments …you’ll get there!
Its a pain in the **** then .... lol

peterhos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, in due course, if you are happy with parameters but think you are overskimming, put the skimmer on a timer, skim at night maybe, and have a quieter tank during the daytime.

OP
OP
Jasongtr

Jasongtr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, in due course, if you are happy with parameters but think you are overskimming, put the skimmer on a timer, skim at night maybe, and have a quieter tank during the daytime.
Not happy with the parameters, algae reactor will be turned on this week when the chaeto arrives, so theyll be even less for it take out

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think its fine and you might be overthinking it.
A 2 month old tank doesn't have much to pull out yet, be patient.
With the bubbles so high, it looks like you are wet skimming. Dry skimming will get darker skimmate.
I've always used oversized skimmers.
BRS is not the king of reef, they are a store trying to encourage you to buy more stuff.

OP
OP
Jasongtr

Jasongtr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think its fine and you might be overthinking it.
A 2 month old tank doesn't have much to pull out yet, be patient.
With the bubbles so high, it looks like you are wet skimming. Dry skimming will get darker skimmate.rom the
I've always used oversized skimmers.
BRS is not the king of reef, they are a store trying to encourage you to buy more stuff.
Im very new to this and i get the fact brs try and sell stuff but theyd make more money trying to convince people to buy a larger rather than a smaller skimmer.

The tank is only 2 months old granted, the rocks are taken from another tank so are about 8 months old, but maybe ive missed an important thing but surely the bioload and nutrients come fromthe livestock and feeding which will be the same on day 1 as day 1000

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 19 14.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 21 15.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 75 56.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.7%
Back