Is my tank a death trap?

MarcW

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi. So, we set up a 40 gallon fowlr tank. Let it stew with the rock and live sand and a couple of snails for a few weeks. Had an algae bloom, and the little white copepods, so thought all was well. Put a few fish in. They all got white spots and died a few days in. Waited another week or 10 days. Put a few fish in. White spots and death. I assume ich, so I leave the tank empty and running for six weeks, which I read would get rid of all the ich. Put a couple of fish in and they seemed great. Week goes by, so I put a couple more in. Everybody was all good for about three weeks, and now they are all dying off in the order I introduced them. I've had a freshwater tank for 7-8 years, so I'm not a complete novice, but this is our first attempt at salt. Throughout all this, test strips have been perfect, including amonia, salinity has been perfect. Using ro water for top off. Do I just have to get rid of everything and start over? Do I have a tank of death? Any input or suggestions would be appreciated. I'm almost ready to give up and make it fresh water, but I really love the saltwater fish...

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If in fact you did have have Ick, then I believe you should go 76 days fallow, better to go 3 months.

I wish I was welcoming you to R2R under better circumstances, but stick with it as it is worth it.

TheShrimpNibbler

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi. So, we set up a 40 gallon fowlr tank. Let it stew with the rock and live sand and a couple of snails for a few weeks. Had an algae bloom, and the little white copepods, so thought all was well. Put a few fish in. They all got white spots and died a few days in. Waited another week or 10 days. Put a few fish in. White spots and death. I assume ich, so I leave the tank empty and running for six weeks, which I read would get rid of all the ich. Put a couple of fish in and they seemed great. Week goes by, so I put a couple more in. Everybody was all good for about three weeks, and now they are all dying off in the order I introduced them. I've had a freshwater tank for 7-8 years, so I'm not a complete novice, but this is our first attempt at salt. Throughout all this, test strips have been perfect, including amonia, salinity has been perfect. Using ro water for top off. Do I just have to get rid of everything and start over? Do I have a tank of death? Any input or suggestions would be appreciated. I'm almost ready to give up and make it fresh water, but I really love the saltwater fish...
I’m sorry this is happening, but I have some advice. First of all, a fallow period won’t do much good if you don’t quarantine your fish. The parasite came from lfs water, so letting all the parasites die just to add more lfs water isn’t super useful. Because of this, I quarantine all of my fish. I had an experience similar to yours with ich, and it was solved by a quarantine. Test strips are also not very accurate have your lfs test your water for you every now and then or get a more reliable test. How long was the tank set up before adding fish. For future reference, ich can survive fishless for up to 76 days.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Welcome to the hobby, R2R and the world of chemistry and disease. When purchasing fish. focus on:
- overall image of store
- Health of all fish
- Breathing rate of fish
- unusual skin issues such as ich(salt grains), bacteria, fin rot
- Does the fish eat (always ask to see it eat - don't buy a fish that ignores food)
- sunken belly or eyes (weak fish or starving)
- how fish interacts with other tank mates in store display (if its chasing others- Red Flag)

Last edited:

JasonK84

I want more!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s time to read up on fish QT. Saltwater aquarium diseases are no joke and my first attempt back in 2010 without QT was going much like your experience. I finally got a few fish that made it and were with me a while. Started back in early 2018 and used QT for everything and my experience has been much better and I’m even able to keep difficult species. I actually just finished QT of a Moorish Idol and am observing and trying it on different foods before it goes to the DT.

OP
OP
M

MarcW

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m sorry this is happening, but I have some advice. First of all, a fallow period won’t do much good if you don’t quarantine your fish. The parasite came from lfs water, so letting all the parasites die just to add more lfs water isn’t super useful. Because of this, I quarantine all of my fish. I had an experience similar to yours with ich, and it was solved by a quarantine. Test strips are also not very accurate have your lfs test your water for you every now and then or get a more reliable test. How long was the tank set up before adding fish. For future reference, ich can survive fishless for up to 76 days.
It was set up for a couple of weeks, added the snails, let that go for about 3 weeks or so, then had the algae and copepods, so that's when I added the first fish. I guess about 5 weeks before fish. I had the store test after the 2nd round of dead fish, and they said the water was fine, said the only thing they could think of was a bacterial infection. That's when we went the 6 weeks fallow.

Alexreefer

Coral, Coral, Coral!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was set up for a couple of weeks, added the snails, let that go for about 3 weeks or so, then had the algae and copepods, so that's when I added the first fish. I guess about 5 weeks before fish. I had the store test after the 2nd round of dead fish, and they said the water was fine, said the only thing they could think of was a bacterial infection. That's when we went the 6 weeks fallow.
I would quarantine any fish from any supplier. Just way safer this way

OP
OP
M

MarcW

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s time to read up on fish QT. Saltwater aquarium diseases are no joke and my first attempt back in 2010 without QT was going much like your experience. I finally got a few fish that made it and were with me a while. Started back in early 2018 and used QT for everything and my experience has been much better and I’m even able to keep difficult species. I actually just finished QT of a Moorish Idol and am observing and trying it on different foods before it goes to the DT.
Sounds like I have to to get a qt tank set up. Heck I've already put upwards of $600 in this tank and fish. I guess if I want living fish, spend some $ on a qt tank. Thanks!

TheShrimpNibbler

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Based off of this, it doesn’t sound like ammonia from the initial cycle was the problem. That leaves parasites and diseases. Adding a quarantine tank was probably the single best decision I’ve made since starting my tank, and it sounds like one would benefit you too. Every lfs has parasites, and not quarantine means that they are just waiting in your tank until the fish get stressed.

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome to R2R!!! There is a lot of good information above and a lot more throughout the forums.

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Marc

as said, sorry about the troubles. You will find some things translate from fresh to salt. Mostly the tank and there is water :) . The rest is a learning curve. In salt we don’t really use test strips.

Your tank is not a death trap, just kind of got out of order in set up. Take a minute read thru QT process and fallow guidelines as mentioned and kinda do a reset of the tank.

and #WelcometoR2R ask lots of questions and you’ll be surfing in no time

zalick

A cup of water and a dash of salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like I have to to get a qt tank set up. Heck I've already put upwards of $600 in this tank and fish. I guess if I want living fish, spend some $ on a qt tank. Thanks!

QT setup can be pretty basic. Air stone, heater, HOB filter. Some people use plastic tubs. Others use a 10g tank.

I use a 20g long tank just for added stability, since the cost of the tank is minimal.

OP
OP
M

MarcW

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
QT setup can be pretty basic. Air stone, heater, HOB filter. Some people use plastic tubs. Others use a 10g tank.

I use a 20g long tank just for added stability, since the cost of the tank is minimal.
Thanks! I just told my wife we had to set up qt tank. Not good...lol! "You mean we have to another tank? And spend more money on fish stuff?" She'll get over it...!

BeejReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome

You were unlucky right out of the gate. Usually u get to enjoy your fish for a few months before killing them all by introducing a parasite

If ur lfs has it, tail chasing if no qt.

Spock-Home.jpg

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 49 34.5%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 30 21.1%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 7.7%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 37 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back