Is my tank a death trap?

JasonK84

I want more!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like I have to to get a qt tank set up. Heck I've already put upwards of $600 in this tank and fish. I guess if I want living fish, spend some $ on a qt tank. Thanks!
It doesn’t need to be fancy. I use my original 14 gallon biocube from when I originally started back in 2010. If I didn’t have it then a $10 10 gallon from petco, cheap Wal-Mart pre set heater, HOB filter, and pvc fittings gets what you need.

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi. So, we set up a 40 gallon fowlr tank. Let it stew with the rock and live sand and a couple of snails for a few weeks. Had an algae bloom, and the little white copepods, so thought all was well. Put a few fish in. They all got white spots and died a few days in. Waited another week or 10 days. Put a few fish in. White spots and death. I assume ich, so I leave the tank empty and running for six weeks, which I read would get rid of all the ich. Put a couple of fish in and they seemed great. Week goes by, so I put a couple more in. Everybody was all good for about three weeks, and now they are all dying off in the order I introduced them. I've had a freshwater tank for 7-8 years, so I'm not a complete novice, but this is our first attempt at salt. Throughout all this, test strips have been perfect, including amonia, salinity has been perfect. Using ro water for top off. Do I just have to get rid of everything and start over? Do I have a tank of death? Any input or suggestions would be appreciated. I'm almost ready to give up and make it fresh water, but I really love the saltwater fish...
If you had ich which you appears to have, 6 weeks Fallow isn't enough. (76 days is what you should do)

Read this:

I once had a tank wipeout (all fish) and I did 3 months no fish, and haven't had a problem since.
Yout tank/rocks will also age during that time, so it's not a waste of time. (Maybe boring wait...worst case)
I did do vinegar dosing during that time, to increase bacteria. I ramped up, and then when Fallow period was done I ramped down. Since that Vinegar treament, I also eliminated all the nasty brown algae and cyno problems I had before.

Last edited:

klimfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you testing your water parameters? You haven't posted any numbers from tests, which would be really helpful for us to help you, ya know? ;)

Others here are discounting ammonia, etc...I'm not so sure. What test kits does your LFS use? API? Could be meaningless depending on a few factors...I personally used 4x the amount of Fritz TurboStart in my old Biocube14 and it still took 8 WEEKS to fully cycle, I monitored parameters 2x daily using Salifert test kits. A "few" weeks and then adding fish doesn't seem right to me.

Have you used a voltage meter to test for stray voltage? Happened to me before, had no idea why everything was dying and then the voltage meter showed me that my NEWEST pump was introducing an electrical current into the tank.

Salinity, temp, etc, how are those things managed? Do you use an ATO? How often are you checking temperature? How often are you testing?

Personally...I'd wait at least 8 weeks of the tank being set up before adding ANY fish. I think a CUC earlier than that is usually not an issue, though you may suffer some casualties.

Use this time to perfect your water parameters. All of them, even the ones that don't matter to fish. You'll get better and faster at doing the tests and gain an understanding of the tank...

"As they say", we aren't keeping reefs here, we are keeping WATER. The reef comes after.

Jedi Knghit

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

tnw50cal

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Instead of waiting 76 days(I like 3 months better) you could tear the tank down, washing everything down in some bleach water(gravel,rocks tank) and rinse with clean water really good, then start over. It would take less time to start cycle over than waiting 76 days and you could get a QT up and running too. At least this way you would have fish sooner.

Dragon52

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R
This read might also help you.

OP
OP
M

MarcW

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi. So, we set up a 40 gallon fowlr tank. Let it stew with the rock and live sand and a couple of snails for a few weeks. Had an algae bloom, and the little white copepods, so thought all was well. Put a few fish in. They all got white spots and died a few days in. Waited another week or 10 days. Put a few fish in. White spots and death. I assume ich, so I leave the tank empty and running for six weeks, which I read would get rid of all the ich. Put a couple of fish in and they seemed great. Week goes by, so I put a couple more in. Everybody was all good for about three weeks, and now they are all dying off in the order I introduced them. I've had a freshwater tank for 7-8 years, so I'm not a complete novice, but this is our first attempt at salt. Throughout all this, test strips have been perfect, including amonia, salinity has been perfect. Using ro water for top off. Do I just have to get rid of everything and start over? Do I have a tank of death? Any input or suggestions would be appreciated. I'm almost ready to give up and make it fresh water, but I really love the saltwater fish...
I appreciate all the great advice. So I have one damsel that's not dead yet but I know his days are numbered. Everybody else has gone to the great toilet bowl in the sky. I will set up a qt tank and hopefully 76 days after the damsel goes, we'll be all good. One more question-if we see white spots on a fish in the qt, do I treat with copper? If I treat with copper in qt then put in dt when all looks well, will the fish carry copper into the dt and kill all my inverts? Thanks in advance

Jedi Knghit

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a good read to start with...

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Look, we all have death traps. Even with QT. The best we can do is try to avoid it, but it Does happen. You will have losses. You will have absolute failures. You will also fall in love with your tank and sometimes get it totally right! Here is the best place to learn how to make that happen!

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 44 21.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 72 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 69 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%

Back