Is my tank cycled?

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally, I'd vacuum the sand completely over the next couple water changes, but don't stir at all, just straight down and straight up with the tube.

OP
OP
Feet Pixel

Feet Pixel

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chances are you should be fine.
Fish look well.
No new additions of fish for now.
What lights you have for the coral?
Most likely a bacterial bloom
that makes me so happy! I am running two Hydra AI 32 fixtures. Should I do anything special?
Happy fish, I doubt ammonia is an issue at all. Might have dodged a bullet reusing the old sand though depending on how old and how much got kicked up during the transfer. Recommendation is to never reuse old sand, but you are past that and seem ok. Adding more sand slowly is fine. If you aren't rinsing said sand though before adding, then your tank will be cloudy for a bit. Not sure if that's the current issue or not though. It may just be a bacterial bloom. Provide extra aeration and a UV will clear it up. Absent a UV, just time.
Oh my gosh now that you mention, I totally remember reading that! Nitrogen gas or something like that? I don’t know how I forgot. I rinsed the last 20 lbs and intend to wash the next batch too even though it’s labeled as live sand. That’s ok right?
I do not have a UV filter
Looks like a bacteria bloom. Do you run a skimmer? Make sure that you have good water movement at the surface. I would also consider adding an airstone until the bloom goes away. Bacteria blooms can remove oxygen from the system.
I have a skimmer but I turned it off yesterday when I added the bacteria. should I turn it on again?
I will add an air stone right away
Personally, I'd vacuum the sand completely over the next couple water changes, but don't stir at all, just straight down and straight up with the tube.
Okay got it, will continue to do so. Thanks for the tip, I was vacuuming in lines like a vacuum cleaner haha

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rinse the live sand with tap water until it runs clear and do a final RODI rinse and good to go. The idea with the vacuuming method is to disturb the sand as little as possible outside of the tube to minimize any potential release of hydrogen sulfide gas pockets or other accumulated nasties into the tank. Had you not reused the old sand, vacuuming the sand is pure personal preference and livestock dependent. In this case, I would personally do it just for a fresh start.

OP
OP
Feet Pixel

Feet Pixel

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you guys think I should do another water change?
Today ammonia is measuring between 0-0.25, and the water in the test tube was murky whereas last time it was a very transparent light green.
Nitrates registered at 10-20 today

I'm concerned about changing a large volume of water out when I just added bottled bacteria yesterday.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You really just need to test ammonia and nitrAte. Nitrites aren't a problem like in freshwater. If you have the biospira, please add it ASAP so the bacteria can help reduce the ammonia more quickly.

Nitrite is an indicator in the cycle. If someone has 0 nitrite, they likely have no ammonia present as the bacteria that processes nitrite is slower growing than their ammonia processing counterparts

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is nothing wrong with this cycle, take no action for cycle issues, those are the common ammonia readings we see for cycled reefs, you can see in searches all running reefs pretty much post those ammonia levels

run some carbon in a filter or a uv sterilizer to beat the cloudiness

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today ammonia is measuring between 0-0.25, and the water in the test tube was murky whereas last time it was a very transparent light green.

I'm concerned about changing a large volume of water out when I just added bottled bacteria yesterday.
I'd consider your tank cycled for the current bioload. As for the water change, if you feel you want to do this due to the cloudy water, that's fine... Very little nitrifying bacteria stays in the water column, by now it's all in the rocks, sand, and other biomedia.
Good job :)

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nitrite is an indicator in the cycle. If someone has 0 nitrite, they likely have no ammonia present as the bacteria that processes nitrite is slower growing than their ammonia processing counterparts
But why wouldn't you just measure ammonia directly then? Depending on the specific strain of bacteria, nitrite is converted to nitrate almost immediately, so it never shows up on a hobby test.
No problem to test for all 3, but ammonia and nitrate are the 2 important ones in SW.

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Murky? You using your finger as a stopper when you shake the vial, lol. It’s probably something organic messin with your test kit. Looks like your tank is good. Happy reefin.

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that makes me so happy! I am running two Hydra AI 32 fixtures. Should I do anything special?

Oh my gosh now that you mention, I totally remember reading that! Nitrogen gas or something like that? I don’t know how I forgot. I rinsed the last 20 lbs and intend to wash the next batch too even though it’s labeled as live sand. That’s ok right?
I do not have a UV filter

I have a skimmer but I turned it off yesterday when I added the bacteria. should I turn it on again?
I will add an air stone right away

Okay got it, will continue to do so. Thanks for the tip, I was vacuuming in lines like a vacuum cleaner haha
I was asking about the lights for coral support.
Should be good to add your coral.

Back