Is my tank fully stocked???

  • Thread starter Thread starter Cassian
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Cassian

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Dec 9, 2018
Messages
2,389
Reaction score
1,710
Location
MO
What state or country do you live in
Missouri
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all! So with Christmas and Black Friday coming up, I’ve been dreaming of the next fish I can get. :D I wanted to ask your guy’s opinion on if my tank is fully stocked or not. I’ve never found the “one inch per gallon” rule to be very accurate, so I wanted to get the expert’s opinion. Details below!

Tank size:
180 gallon 8 foot long by 2 foot wide by 18” tall. 75-100 gallon sump I believe. The reason I bolded and underlined the 8 foot length is because most people are very confused when I say I have a 180 gal of this length.

Current stock:
4 lyretail anthias
2 firefish
1 foxface
2 blue jaw triggerfish
1 long nose black tang
3 fairy wrasses
1 melanarus wrasse
1 skeletor eel
1 mandarin dragonet
1 algae blenny
2 clownfish
1 reef chromis

So that’s what I currently have. I Would like to add a sandsifting goby and possibly a tang or two or more wrasses. What’s your opinion on this?

#reefsquad
 
Last edited:
I would say as long as you can handle the bio load, you are are fine to add more. I would consider it to be under stocked.
 
Are your nitrate levels acceptable?

I, too, think there is some room. You do have 4 "big" fishes in the rabbit, tang, and triggers. And that eel looks like it can get 2-2.5' long, similar to a snowflake, so that will be a bit of a load.
 
Are your nitrate levels acceptable?

I, too, think there is some room. You do have 4 "big" fishes in the rabbit, tang, and triggers. And that eel looks like it can get 2-2.5' long, similar to a snowflake, so that will be a bit of a load.

Yes, in fact I have trouble getting any nitrates. I finally got detectable nitrate after completely shutting down my skimmer and taking out all of my filter socks.

Also, almost all of the large fish are their adult size except for the foxface
 
Have almost as much in my 40g lol. No, but seriously if I had an 8foot tank I’d be in trouble. The first reefer in the USA to propagate attack otters, throw them on people Big Lebowski style ...

Haha!!
 
Yeah, as long as the chemistry remains ok, I'd say you have some room to play with.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH PART OF YOUR SETUP IS HARDEST TO REACH OR REMOVE FOR ROUTINE MAINTENANCE?

  • Glass behind or beside the tank

    Votes: 17 21.5%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 7 8.9%
  • Sump or rear filtration chambers

    Votes: 11 13.9%
  • Skimmer or other filtration equipment

    Votes: 10 12.7%
  • Overflow or plumbing

    Votes: 13 16.5%
  • Lights or lids

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Mine is pretty easy to access!

    Votes: 20 25.3%
  • Other—tell us what I missed

    Votes: 1 1.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new