IS MY TANK GOING TO CRACK!

Djtonton

Saltwater Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just was looking at my tank when I stopped home from lunch and saw this!! Im terrified what should I do? The crack is out the outside. Can it be filled in and patched? Its a Marineland 265

Attachments

• IMG_1613.mov
    12.7 MB

Coastie Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it a crack or scratch? Can you tell if goes all the way through. It's not easy to scratch glass but can happen. Usually if that was all the way through it would be weeping but may not.

Scratching glass is actually super easy... and this looks more like a scratch to me, esp since it's on the outside.

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That almost looks like a scratch.

I would suggest running your fingernail along the inside of the glass and seeing if you can feel it there. Aquarium glass is normally not laminated, and a crack should be able to be felt on both sides.

OP
OP
Djtonton

Djtonton

Saltwater Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had to run back to work when i get home in a few hours ill put something dark behind it and take better video and pictures

it looks like it doesnt go all the way through tho

BrandonS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depending on the depth of the scratch a windshield repair kit can repair it or buff out the scratch with another product. However if it is a deep scratch depending on budget and comfort you can do what you feel is best.

Colin_S

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
looks like a scratch to me, is it in 250g? if so, if it were cracked surely the weight of water would make it break completely? Good luck anyhow

OP
OP
Djtonton

Djtonton

Saltwater Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That almost looks like a scratch.

I would suggest running your fingernail along the inside of the glass and seeing if you can feel it there. Aquarium glass is normally not laminated, and a crack should be able to be felt on both sides.

okay so if it doesnt go all the way through i should be able to fix this with a cleaning product?

I made a huge mistake of getting black sand because "it looked cool" and its biting me in my butt my magnetic cleaner catches these little particles and for the longest time i didnt know so i do have some tiny scracthes on the inside of the tank but this outside one im a little confused. I would say it could of been my belt when standing messing with the tank but it doesnt seem like it would be that small? maybe the cleaner on the outside got somethign stuck in it?

foxt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
okay so if it doesnt go all the way through i should be able to fix this with a cleaning product?

I made a huge mistake of getting black sand because "it looked cool" and its biting me in my *** my magnetic cleaner catches these little particles and for the longest time i didnt know so i do have some tiny scracthes on the inside of the tank but this outside one im a little confused. I would say it could of been my belt when standing messing with the tank but it doesnt seem like it would be that small? maybe the cleaner on the outside got somethign stuck in it?
Could be the cleaner got something stuck on the outside. If so, it shouldn't be that deep of a scratch and you might be able to get most of it out.

OP
OP
Djtonton

Djtonton

Saltwater Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could be the cleaner got something stuck on the outside. If so, it shouldn't be that deep of a scratch and you might be able to get most of it out.

My thought is my large mag float cleaning magnet and these stupid black sand possibly. This could have also been here for months im not sure i wasnt really paying attention to my tank the last 2 years. finally getting back into it now

andrewkw

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like a scratch, there are also smaller scratches that can be seen at the bottom of the big one. People are already talking about buffing this out, but I don't think that is possible. If you've never tried the various buffing products they are really hard to use, very very time consuming, very very very labor intensive and only work on the thinnest of scratches.

Halal Hotdog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also agree that it looks like a scratch. Polishing it is your best bet. Also on the outside of the glass means someone did that. You may want to round everyone up and ask what happened.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 21 42.9%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 11 22.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 16 32.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.0%
Back