Is my tank overstocked?

ThunderGoose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm working on nutrient management in my tank and was thinking it might be overstocked...

And The Husband really wants a hawkfish...

What do ya'll think? It's a RedSeaReefer 250 - 54 gallons in display, with a semi custom sump of around 15 gallons so around 65 -70 gallons of water total. My current stock are all getting along fine, except for the goldline blenny who gets a little pushy despite her diminutive size.

2 Ocellaris clowns
Goldline blenny
neon goby
Carpenter flasher wrasse
Blue-green chromis
Yellow watchman goby - did not form a relationship with my snapping shrimp and then the mantis shrimp showed up and took over the snapping shrimp's tunnels. Still have the mantis.
Royal gramma
Yellow assessor

Not including inverts since they don't contribute as much to the bioload.

I come from a long history of freshwater and it was hard for me to keep my stock this low!

Thanks

joec

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm working on nutrient management in my tank and was thinking it might be overstocked...

And The Husband really wants a hawkfish...

What do ya'll think? It's a RedSeaReefer 250 - 54 gallons in display, with a semi custom sump of around 15 gallons so around 65 -70 gallons of water total. My current stock are all getting along fine, except for the goldline blenny who gets a little pushy despite her diminutive size.

2 Ocellaris clowns
Goldline blenny
neon goby
Carpenter flasher wrasse
Blue-green chromis
Yellow watchman goby - did not form a relationship with my snapping shrimp and then the mantis shrimp showed up and took over the snapping shrimp's tunnels. Still have the mantis.
Royal gramma
Yellow assessor

Not including inverts since they don't contribute as much to the bioload.

I come from a long history of freshwater and it was hard for me to keep my stock this low!

Thanks

I would say in general that 9 fish in a 54 G is a lot of fish

PatW

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, 9 fish in a 54 is quite a bit. It is helped by the fact that none of the fish is big and a number work out as appropriate for nano tanks.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Overstocked is a somewhat relative term. That you are struggling to manage nutrients suggests that the fish load is too high for your nutrient export mechanisms. Also depends a lot on how open your aquascape is and whether there's enough swimming space. I'd certainly not judge 9 small fish to be too many for a 54 if designed right.

Dilan Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
In my opinion the tank is not overtstocked. First is that the tank is housing smaller fish which don't produce much waste. As long as you keep the nutrients in great condition you should be ok :) Another is the fish above moost of them don't require a lot of swimming room so a 4ft tank works just fine for them. Just make sure you get the wrasse multiple feedings a day and you will be golden :)

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Each system is different. In one 54g that stocklist may be overstocked, in another plenty of room for more fish.

You mention struggling with nutrient control, so that is one of the determining factors. But also your fish are pretty small. So depending on how bad the struggle is with nutrients will ultimately determine if you want to add the hawk.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back