Is my tank too sterile?

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
300 gallon tank with ich management.

It recently finished cycling and I’m thinking of my future stock list.

First let me tell you my filtration. The water is ocean water that I have delivered monthly. I run a UV sterilizer rated for 600 gallon tanks for ich and velvet. And I will run 1 micron filter socks to strain out more ich and parasites. Will also keep water clear.
I have a skimmer too. No refugium.

These are the animals which I want but don’t think will be a good fit for my tank:

dragonet mandarin fish
Wrasses
Sea cucumbers
Gorgonians

I ordered copepods and phytoplankton and I will dose the phyto on a biweekly schedule...but will I have enough of a copepod population to sustain filter feeders, softies, and zooplankton eaters?

Or should reassess my stock list.

besides for these unconventional stock, I plan to keep many tangs, which will be the heart and soul of my system.

BoneDoc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pods take a bit of time to develop in appreciable quantities. Any reason why you don’t want to run a refugium? They are a great source of pods (and nutrient export with the right lighting setup)

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The captive bred mandarins eat pellets
Only if you plan on some kind of direct feeding system. Pods is a much better choice. I have a mandarin in my 90 gallon that I've never fed. She's fat and 2 years old.

NoahLikesFish

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would focus either on fish like tangs (grazers) or focus on micro predators (dragonet wrasse goby blenny clowns basslet) they have separate adaptations and are built for different environments

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 37.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 13 22.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 11 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 13 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back