Is my Urchin dying?

DoINeedAName?

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Aug 22, 2021
Messages
119
Reaction score
78
Location
Loxley
What state or country do you live in
Alabama
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a pincushion urchin, two actually, and one of them seems to be dying. He’s larger than our other one and he’s been dropping spines randomly since day one. He does eat and move around, but I’ve recently noticed a small hole in the very top of his shell (is shell the right word? It’s just at the top of him) and a small black spot on his side. He also started pulling his spines flat at the top near the hole, but today he had a lot pulled flat (pictures for reference that I just took of him)
EBC79FFE-8E94-4441-97CD-50F3E6C75D1B.jpeg 4C10CE22-8843-48F2-BF1E-977258107186.jpeg 7E34CF92-C0CA-4B4C-B93E-638AEE090191.jpeg
 
Pull it and feed it nori, that's what I did when mine laid its spines down. It was so efficient at eating algae, it ate itself out of food and I have to supplement it weekly.
 
I have a pincushion urchin, two actually, and one of them seems to be dying. He’s larger than our other one and he’s been dropping spines randomly since day one. He does eat and move around, but I’ve recently noticed a small hole in the very top of his shell (is shell the right word? It’s just at the top of him) and a small black spot on his side. He also started pulling his spines flat at the top near the hole, but today he had a lot pulled flat (pictures for reference that I just took of him)
EBC79FFE-8E94-4441-97CD-50F3E6C75D1B.jpeg 4C10CE22-8843-48F2-BF1E-977258107186.jpeg 7E34CF92-C0CA-4B4C-B93E-638AEE090191.jpeg
Extra pic of black spot and many dropped spines
3C607732-877E-49A2-9565-9A9774922066.jpeg
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 5 26.3%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 9 47.4%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 1 5.3%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 6 31.6%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 2 10.5%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 9 47.4%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 6 31.6%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 3 15.8%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new