Is my urchin ok?

Kapachuka3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I got a tuxedo urchin about 5 days ago I think and I had somebody from a fish store come out and clean the tank and he said the urchin was completely fine, he had his spines out and everything when the guy was here. The urchin has now moved into this spot and stayed there for about 2 days with no spines showing is he ok?

image.jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
With all the needles gone and not seeing it's moving- sounds like its done. Check your nitrates as 90% of the time urchins shed their spines due to high or elevated nitrates. They do not, like most invertebres, do well in elevated nitrate levels. If all his spines are gone, most likely he is dead from high nitrate concentration.
Make a decision, but before any toxins are released, place in a baggie and freeze it until garbage day.
Sorry to see this happen.
Test nitrates and please tell me what you come up with a reading

SMSREEF

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So sorry, but your urchin looks like it’s dead or dying.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I got a tuxedo urchin about 5 days ago I think and I had somebody from a fish store come out and clean the tank and he said the urchin was completely fine, he had his spines out and everything when the guy was here. The urchin has now moved into this spot and stayed there for about 2 days with no spines showing is he ok?

image.jpg
I would hold it near the surface (don't lift it out of the water) and give a sniff. If it is dead, you'll probably smell it. Also, look closely at the tube feet, if you see them moving, it may be o.k.

Jay

Lizbeli

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doesn’t look good. Most likely dead. He should be moving around and have his little sticky feet out. Mine is always in a different spot when I check the tank.

Attachments

• F896F827-08AF-42F2-BAA6-AB578A2DBD70.jpeg
    F896F827-08AF-42F2-BAA6-AB578A2DBD70.jpeg
    153.3 KB · Views: 68
OP
OP
Kapachuka3

Kapachuka3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

image.jpg
He died I just buried him

SMSREEF

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So Sorry.
You should try another one.
Try and find one that is carrying things around because that’s a good sign it’s healthy.
Here is mine carrying around red Macroalgae it like to use to dress up.
image.jpg

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
These are super fun but they need a somewhat established tank. Your rocks look like there is plenty to eat so pick up another one or two and give it a go. Don't get anything big or they'll devour all available algae and starve.

Like someone already said, they don't retract their spines into the "body". When they lose them its usually (not always) a very bad sign.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 1 2.3%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 31 72.1%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 8 18.6%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 2 4.7%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 1 2.3%
Back