Is my yellow coris wrasse sick or just beat up?

marcosnano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello reefers,

Here is the video of my yellow wrasse in my tank, I got it yesterday from LFS.

The fish didn't seem that beat up over there but it was under white lights. In my tank under blue lights it looks pretty beat up as you can see. I switched to white lights in my tank and most of those damages are not visible.

FIsh is doing good, she was in substrate only first night and after that swimming around tank, eating. There is no agression in tank.

Substrate is 3 inch deep, 0.5-1.5mm sand granulation. LFS had similat substrate.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hello reefers,

Here is the video of my yellow wrasse in my tank, I got it yesterday from LFS.

The fish didn't seem that beat up over there but it was under white lights. In my tank under blue lights it looks pretty beat up as you can see. I switched to white lights in my tank and most of those damages are not visible.

FIsh is doing good, she was in substrate only first night and after that swimming around tank, eating. There is no agression in tank.

Substrate is 3 inch deep, 0.5-1.5mm sand granulation. LFS had similat substrate.

Will need a video of at least 20 seconds as 7 seconds is just not enough. The stuff on tail appears to be either lymphocystis or fin ray damage but again need more time of video to clearly see

OP
OP
marcosnano

marcosnano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will need a video of at least 20 seconds as 7 seconds is just not enough. The stuff on tail appears to be either lymphocystis or fin ray damage but again need more time of video to clearly see

Here it is, under flashlght. Minute before she went into sand.

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems to be a wound or at least some serious scale loss just behind the pectoral. It’s acting healthy and if it’s lymphocytis then simple observation is the best course
You get a good view if you go through frame by frame.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Here it is, under flashlght. Minute before she went into sand.

The fraying looks like fin rot opposed to injury or aggression. Assure ammonia and nitrate are not elevated. f ot worsens, may need to be treated with Seachem neoplex or kanaplex

OP
OP
marcosnano

marcosnano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The fraying looks like fin rot opposed to injury or aggression. Assure ammonia and nitrate are not elevated. f ot worsens, may need to be treated with Seachem neoplex or kanaplex

Ammonia is 0 in my tank but it was prob high in LFS tank because tank was over crowded.

Can fin rot be healed, regereted?

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Ammonia is 0 in my tank but it was prob high in LFS tank because tank was over crowded.

Can fin rot be healed, regereted?
Healed , yes with medication mentioned

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree - it has minor fin damage due to tankmate aggression. I see some dislodged scales as well.

This species is REALLY prone to Uronema though. Look for vertical lesions on its body that start off white and then turn red.

Jay

OP
OP
marcosnano

marcosnano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree - it has minor fin damage due to tankmate aggression. I see some dislodged scales as well.

This species is REALLY prone to Uronema though. Look for vertical lesions on its body that start off white and then turn red.

Jay

Thank you Jay.

I believe he had a rough time in LFS tank and maybe in transport while getting there.

Should I treat him in QT or just let him for a while?

As I said, he is very active now and he is eating good.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you Jay.

I believe he had a rough time in LFS tank and maybe in transport while getting there.

Should I treat him in QT or just let him for a while?

As I said, he is very active now and he is eating good.

There are other diseases that can crop up on newly acquired fish, so you should consider a proactive quarantine:

Jay

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish now developted red sore

What should I do?

That could just be a bump, or it could be the start of that Uronema I mentioned. Time will tell. There really is not any treatment for internal uronema in these fish. Here is an article that I wrote on it:

Jay

OP
OP
marcosnano

marcosnano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To my surprise I found fish dead this morning.

So, it was uronema.

What is the fallow period for uronema? Is it contagious for other fish I have in a tank?

Attachments

• 20231220_080016.jpg
    20231220_080016.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 22

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To my surprise I found fish dead this morning.

So, it was uronema.

What is the fallow period for uronema? Is it contagious for other fish I have in a tank?

Sorry to see - it does look like Uronema.

Uronema has no fallow period - it normally is a free living protozoan that feeds on bacteria. It can be found in many/most established aquariums. For some unknown reason, it becomes an internal parasite of certain fish species during their travels through the supply chain. Most often seen in green chromis, yellow wrasse and anthias, it can also be found in butterflyfish and a few others.

Jay

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 39 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 14 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 143 58.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 18 7.3%
Back