Is nitrate dosing effective

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My nitrates run low and are often around 1ppm, but I’d prefer to be in the 5-10 range. I will periodically dose my tank with a sodium nitrate solution to raise it when it’s getting close to 0. I saw where one reputable user on the forum said that dosing nitrate does not provide nitrate in a easily usable form for corals.
Is there a difference between nitrate from fish waste and nitrates that were directly dosed when it comes to coral metabolism?

OP
OP
Gtinnel

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've seen people say ammonium dosing is better. However, how realistic this is in our tanks is up for debate
That could be a possibility for me.

I would actually prefer to raise nitrates by feeding more, but when I start feeding huge amounts of food my phosphates go a little higher than I’d like before nitrates get to where I want them.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That could be a possibility for me.

I would actually prefer to raise nitrates by feeding more, but when I start feeding huge amounts of food my phosphates go a little higher than I’d like before nitrates get to where I want them.

Try using amino acids. It is my preferred method.

monkeyCmonkeyDo

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd look at dosing something like amino acids. Acro power. Ect.
Small particulate coral foods in small doses ect.
As for phosphate free additive I'm gonna wait and see if randy Holmes chimes in. I'd like to know myself....even if I don't test those. Lol.
D

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As for phosphate free additive I'm gonna wait and see if randy Holmes chimes in. I'd like to know myself....even if I don't test those. Lol.
D

Aminos or sodium/calcium/potassium nitrate does not contain phosphate.

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My nitrates run low and are often around 1ppm, but I’d prefer to be in the 5-10 range. I will periodically dose my tank with a sodium nitrate solution to raise it when it’s getting close to 0. I saw where one reputable user on the forum said that dosing nitrate does not provide nitrate in a easily usable form for corals.
Is there a difference between nitrate from fish waste and nitrates that were directly dosed when it comes to coral metabolism?
Coral prefer ammonium, however converting nitrate IMO is not a big deal for them.

I prefer to dose Nitrate directly (either Potassium Nitrate or Calcium Nitrate) when necessary to keep Nitrate in my target 3-8ppm range.

It's not necessary very often.

OP
OP
Gtinnel

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try using amino acids. It is my preferred method.
D
Haha way ahead of you. I ordered some a few days ago that should be delivered tomorrow.

OP
OP
Gtinnel

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks to NoPox and a Massive skimmer my 250g reef loaded with fish mostly tangs runs zero nitrates. I dose 10ml NeoNitro daily and now my tank is dialed in at 5-7 nitrate. Definitely works for me
Yes but works in what regard. I have no doubt the supplements will raise your nitrate levels. The question is if it is a form that is readily usable by corals.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha way ahead of you. I ordered some a few days ago that should be delivered tomorrow.

I know the ammonium dosing can work, but I know that there are people that will read that, and that one of those is guaranteed to mess it up somehow (i.e. dose way too much). I just can't recommend ammonium dosing because I can't recommend something that someone may kill their fish with. People can do really stupid things in this hobby, and I don't want one of those people to see an ammonium chloride dosing recommendation.

OP
OP
Gtinnel

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coral prefer ammonium, however converting nitrate IMO is not a big deal for them.

I prefer to dose Nitrate directly (either Potassium Nitrate or Calcium Nitrate) when necessary to keep Nitrate in my target 3-8ppm range.

It's not necessary very often.
Just curious what makes you choose potassium nitrate over sodium nitrate. I had been using potassium nitrate but I started to worry about potassium levels increasing so I switched.

undermind

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What type of food do you feed? Foods like LRS typically have nitrate : phosphate balanced similarly to redfield so are a decent way to raise while staying in ratio.

OP
OP
Gtinnel

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know the ammonium dosing can work, but I know that there are people that will read that, and that one of those is guaranteed to mess it up somehow (i.e. dose way too much). I just can't recommend ammonium dosing because I can't recommend something that someone may kill their fish with. People can do really stupid things in this hobby, and I don't want one of those people to see an ammonium chloride dosing recommendation.
If I ever decided to go that route, which honestly I probably won’t, I would be very careful to do it in a safe manner.

OP
OP
Gtinnel

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What type of food do you feed? Foods like LRS typically have nitrate:phosphate balanced similarly to redfield so are a decent way to raise while staying in ratio.
Mostly frozen Mysis and brine, and I have NLS pellets on a auto feeder for a couple of times a day. Plus a sheet or two of nori a day. Then once in a while I will feed Fauna Marin LPS pellets, then very very rarely I feed reef roids. I limit the reef roids because I know they’re high in phosphates.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I ever decided to go that route, which honestly I probably won’t, I would be very careful to do it in a safe manner.

I am definitely not saying you would, but that some people would mess up with it. I have horror stories from people coming into the LFS that I worked at who bought something and didn't follow follow the instructions (or use it properly) or bought it from a place that didn't give them proper information on the product. You would be amazed what some people have done.

OP
OP
Gtinnel

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dosing nitrate has the added affect of raising alk in an established tank with anaerobic zones.
Yep as it get converted to gas. It happens all the time in tanks but if not dosing nitrate it is balanced with the alk being lowered by the production of nitrates

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 74 37.4%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 68 34.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.6%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 29 14.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back