Is normal epoy 2 part resin glue reef safe?

Joe Batt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was getting tin in my ICP test and after a great deal of searching I found that one of the plastic enclosed magnets on my MaxSpec Gyre wasn't properly sealed and when I squeezed it a little rusty liquid came out.

Can I seal the hole/tiny crack with normal 2 part epoxy glue? I was going to even give the whole plastic housing a dip in it to be sure of a good seal.

Is normal epoxy resin reef safe when cured?

Old Fritz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know some people that have used regular epoxy in aquariums before (I can't remember if it was saltwater or not though). If you let it cure and wait a bit after curing to be safe and its waterproof, supposedly it is safe to be in an aquarium. However why take the risk with that when aquarium epoxy is about the same price as regular epoxy. I imagine regular epoxy will eventually break down in the aquarium and release some of the chemicals. Just play it safe and get some aquarium epoxy

OP
OP
Joe Batt

Joe Batt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was just being lazy because it's the weekend here (I'm in Dubai)and the shops are shut. I only have normal household epoxy handy and wanted the gyre running again. Hoping that this was the tin source or I am baffled.

miPapareef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the epoxy is safe, but even after you seal it the magnet inside will continue to rust and swell. Potentially splitting the epoxy. I wouldn’t leave that long term in the tank.

cromag27

octoaquatics.com - ig = @octoaquatics. view my sig
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have found that 2 part epoxy is reef safe, but can break down in saltwater. i would not recommend it to repair magnet enclosures, nor would i ever recommend it to encapsulate magnets with.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 161 74.2%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 17 7.8%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 35 16.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.8%
Back