magnet reseal question

Sparkss

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had posted this in the tank equipment forum, but many suggestions led back to posts in this forum, so I thought it best to re-post here.

This is the orig post:

I have a feeder that the magnet seal appears to have failed on. I took it out to clean it and the magnet casing had small black-ish dots on it that turned out to be magnetic (they stuck to/were attracted to the side of the magnet casing). I am guessing they came from the feeder magnet itself. The casing seam does appear to be less than tightly sealed.

My question is what is the best, reef-safe method for resealing the casing? A general two-part epoxy, some kind of reef cement, AquaVitro 'bond' (that I am not sure would be 100% watertight), or something like the "UV liquid plastic repair" kits that are popular on Amazon and other sites? The easiest would be the UV resin repair kit, but I just recalled, that at least for resin printing, that there were no reef safe resins available, but the UV repair resin claims to be 100% waterproof and non-toxic once cured.

TIA for your feedback.
Magnet issue.jpg

The suggestions (in the other thread) so far were

super glue - but I wanted something more permanent and I recalled reading, and based on personal anecdotal experience, that super glue breaks down in salt water.
hot glue - I read that it does not hold up once algae starts to grow, I took that to mean that the algae made its way between the glue and attachment surface. Also that it significantly helps to "rough up the surfaces" being bonded, which I cannot do here.
silicone glue - In my (limited) experience silicone is rather picky about bonding to plastic, which is what the magnet case feels like.
RTV - I have some RTV, so that is an option, but the last time I used it the glue was super messy, and red (LOL). I have this, but not sure if it is a good choice for this function (or reef safe) or not : Permatex 81160 High-Temp Red RTV Silicone Gasket

My LFS suggested just a liquid epoxy, which I am fine with. Any suggestions on the best one for this purpose would be?

Thanks!

vpierce3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve thought about this before too but never tried. But perhaps drill four holes, one hole at each corner of the plastic case. Then pump aquarium silicone into the casing until the magnet is completely encapsulated. Let fully cure.

Boogieman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used Gorilla GEL super glue for many things in the aquarium metal to plastic as well as coral plugs to live rock. I am of the understanding it is reef safe And So far no ill effects. That glue is quite thick I feel it is going to last a long time . So far nothing has come unglued in 1.5 years.

OP
OP
S

Sparkss

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO, the epoxy will be best for sealing. Cyanoacrylates are not great at sealing gaps..
Just any 2-part resin epoxy? Like this one on Amz? (one of the first ones that came up in my search)

or is there a particular brand, or anything specific that I should look for in the description? Thanks!

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just any 2-part resin epoxy? Like this one on Amz? (one of the first ones that came up in my search)

or is there a particular brand, or anything specific that I should look for in the description? Thanks!

I've not looked at epoxies recently, but I'd try to find one that others suggest is reef safe.

OP
OP
S

Sparkss

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've not looked at epoxies recently, but I'd try to find one that others suggest is reef safe.
Will do, I can "search" with the best of them :), I just wasn't sure if you knew of one off hand or if all were "good". I would assume searching in your (this) forum is a good start, then expanding the search to all of R2R if I can't find a definitive answer here? (then Google after that?) Thanks!

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back