magnet reseal question

Sparkss

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a feeder that the magnet seal appears to have failed on. I took it out to clean it and the magnet casing had small black-ish dots on it that turned out to be magnetic (they stuck to/were attracted to the side of the magnet casing). I am guessing they came from the feeder magnet itself. The casing seam does appear to be less than tightly sealed.

My question is what is the best, reef-safe method for resealing the casing? A general two-part epoxy, some kind of reef cement, AquaVitro 'bond' (that I am not sure would be 100% watertight), or something like the "UV liquid plastic repair" kits that are popular on Amazon and other sites? The easiest would be the UV resin repair kit, but I just recalled, that at least for resin printing, that there were no reef safe resins available, but the UV repair resin claims to be 100% waterproof and non-toxic once cured.

TIA for your feedback.
Magnet issue.jpg

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Auto-pilot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly if your just looking to re-seal and you don't need a structural bond I would use silicone glue or RTV. It won't crack and leak because it's flexible, where any epoxy could eventually crack and leak

OP
OP
S

Sparkss

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
S

Sparkss

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly if your just looking to re-seal and you don't need a structural bond I would use silicone glue or RTV. It won't crack and leak because it's flexible, where any epoxy could eventually crack and leak
RTV might work and I do have some, silicone however is usually pretty picky about sticking to plastics though, especially long term. I will check the tube of RTV that I have to make sure it will work for this.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.3%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 28 16.2%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.5%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 75 43.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.6%
Back