Is Purigen less effective when used with Ozone?

Muffin87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As Randy points out, carbon removes more organics when combined Ozone.
the combination of ozone and GAC was even more effective, removing 60-78% of the TOC, suggesting that the ozonation may have altered some of the molecules in a way that made them bind more strongly (or more rapidly) to GAC
Conversely, I've read at least a couple of times that Purigen "stays white" much longer when combined with ozone. This suggests Purigen does not remove as many organics as it would without ozone. An example here:
I have been running purigen for several years and, generally, am quite happy with it. Unfortunately, I have had to swap it out about every week as it is usually completely changed color/exhausted by that time. I added an ozone generator to the tank about a month ago. Seems to be working well - at least as good as advertised. I continued running the purigen as usual, and now, a month later, the purigen is as white as the day I put it in.
Conceivably, Purigen may be still absorbing as many organics, just it won't change colour as it becomes exhausted, because ozone is making the organics that Purigen absorbs colourless?

I'm trying to devise a strategy to keep thriving tubastrea and dedros in a sumped 50G maintaining good water quality for the other corals, and good water clarity.
I'm not so worried about NO3 and PO4, those can be managed. I'm actually more concerned about all the other organics that accumulate, unless removed with the skimmer, carbon and/or a resin like Purigen, or other ion-exchange resin.

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
interesting puzzle!
Since purigen is also regerated by ozidizer (bleach solution), it may be the case that in ozonated water, it's approaching the oxidation levels of regeneration. Which if it's constantly being "regenerated" it's not absorbing. That seems unlikely though, that tank water with ozone is "regenerating" the media.
Or it may be the case that the vast majority of what it would absorb is being first oxidized with ozone, so it might just be absorbing a much smaller pool of organics.

Or, the bits that it absorbs are now unstable and are broken down bacterially after ozonation. From Randy's article you linked earlier.
"Another result of breaking some organics into smaller, more hydrophilic bits (Figure 3 and 4) is that it often increases their bacterial biodegradability.27-29 Therefore, the ozone may need only to start the degradation process, and bacteria in the aquarium can finish off the organics by uptake and metabolism. Large humic acid molecules, for example, are converted by ozonation into smaller fragments that are more readily taken up and metabolized.29"

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.7%
Back