Is R2R your main source for reefing information?

Is R2R your main source for reefing information?

• Yes i always go here first.

Votes: 351 80.3%
  • Sometimes but i mostly rely on my lfs for their experence and knowledge

Votes: 26 5.9%
  • Youtube for it's informative videos.

Votes: 62 14.2%
  • Bulk reef supply TV

Votes: 99 22.7%
  • Books and magazines.

Votes: 25 5.7%
  • My local reef club

Votes: 32 7.3%

• Total voters

jtl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to be exclusively RC and now I am mostly R2R. This site just seems to be more active and informative, but there are a few old posters on RC that are very knowledgeable and helpful. When I set up my first saltwater tank in 1985 everything was learned by going to the lfs or reading books. Information is so much easier to find now than it was back then. I used to drive 45 minutes one way every Saturday morning to hang around the lfs in Minneapolis. I learned a lot by eavesdropping on conversations and chatting with the owner and staff.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
fake news. :)

I don't think people generally post stuff they know to be false (my definition of fake news), but there certainly are plenty of hairbrained ideas (not necessarily a bad thing) and bad advice. Hard for the newbies to sift though sometimes.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
oh, yes, I am up for the challenge ;-)

I've got a few old, long out of print books that I suspect most current hobbyists do not have. Of course, I am old ….. well, long-tenured in the hobby so have had a lot of time to accumulate crap.

andrewkw

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't underestimate seeing other people's tanks in person.
I used to be exclusively RC and now I am mostly R2R. This site just seems to be more active and informative, but there are a few old posters on RC that are very knowledgeable and helpful. When I set up my first saltwater tank in 1985 everything was learned by going to the lfs or reading books. Information is so much easier to find now than it was back then. I used to drive 45 minutes one way every Saturday morning to hang around the lfs in Minneapolis. I learned a lot by eavesdropping on conversations and chatting with the owner and staff.

I used to line up every Saturday morning at LFS too, for an hour or so before opening on new shipment days. Learned a lot talking to people waiting for the stores to open and while selecting corals with tons of other people. What to look for, what a coral should smell like ect.

One great thing you shouldn't under estimate is looking at other peoples systems in person. Just seeing a specific thing in action can really help out at times. Especially if you are unfamiliar with something like plumbing.

samnaz

Earthling
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got a few old, long out of print books that I suspect most current hobbyists do not have. Of course, I am old ….. well, long-tenured in the hobby so have had a lot of time to accumulate crap.

My collection of reef aquaria books go back as far as 1989, but I discovered the reef keeping hobby only a couple years ago. I know that most of the books published more than a few years ago have only a small portion of relative information in this day and age (if any at all), but I buy them anyway, because I find it interesting to see the ways in which reef keeping has changed over the years. I find many of the older books for sale used for just a couple dollars, so why not.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My collection of reef aquaria books go back as far as 1989, but I discovered the reef keeping hobby only a couple years ago. I know that most of the books published more than a few years ago have only a small portion of relative information in this day and age (if any at all), but I buy them anyway, because I find it interesting to see the ways in which reef keeping has changed over the years. I find many of the older books for sale used for just a couple dollars, so why not.

I bought most of these when they were released. Not current, certainly, but quaint and a really sound foundation for the hobby. These sent me off on many a DiY adventure. The two Wilkens books (the Father of modern reefing IMO) are worth hunting down if you do not have them. Volumes 6-8 of the excellent Reef Fishes set remain unpublished :mad:

IMG_0706.JPG

IMG_0749.JPG

norfolkgarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think people generally post stuff they know to be false (my definition of fake news), but there certainly are plenty of hairbrained ideas (not necessarily a bad thing) and bad advice. Hard for the newbies to sift though sometimes.
Keeping it simple is often completely overlooked.

That knocks out a lot of the super duper, latest and bestest, OMG you gotta try this silliness.

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I bought most of these when they were released. Not current, certainly, but quaint and a really sound foundation for the hobby. These sent me off on many a DiY adventure. The two Wilkens books (the Father of modern reefing IMO) are worth hunting down if you do not have them. Volumes 6-8 of the excellent Reef Fishes set remain unpublished :mad:

IMG_0706.JPG

IMG_0749.JPG

I have most them except the last 3... I had the last 3 and sold them many many years ago. I do have a few others like all the Albert Thiel books. I sold a bunch a while back too.
I also have a few others and my marine biology books from my class.
I used to have every FAMA and I think it was Marine fish monthly magazine from the late 80's till when ever. I just threw them out when I moved.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't underestimate seeing other people's tanks in person.

That was always legendary reefer David Saxby's view …. (paraphrasing) ask to see somebody's tank before taking their advice.

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

Since I live in Boise and it’s pretry small, the lfs are good but the Info is not always good. I normally can rely on one person to be consistent and accurate. Since then I have come here for most of my answers and been very thankful.

There are some members here that I would definitely ask first before others because we have established trust. I still double check info, but there are those few here that I would just take their word because so far they have always been right. Those are @Brew12, @Fin @Katrina71, @redfishbluefish, lll there are more but I’m on the last 4 hours of my 24 hour shift so I’m exhausted :) but yes I love the info here.

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think a lot of it depends on what info you need. Reviews, I look to Reef2Reef. Opinions and Advice. I look at all the forums and some websites of people that been at it for a long time They have compiled a lot of good info. Each forum seems to have a Randy or Dana or people mentioned above, expert. BRS visit for cost and comments for products. For more technical things I look to ref books (Coral Reefs in the Microbial Seas) ect... Deeper things require a trip to duckduckgo to find technical papers on what scientific studies have found. I also know a few people that have been doing tank maintaince for years. They are a great source of ideas and solutions that have worked for them. Oh and of course Utube for a laugh.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What if they are taking a break but had nice tanks?

Since I was paraphrasing somebody else, I guess you'd have to ask him. For me, there are plenty of people with active nice tanks.

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since I was paraphrasing somebody else, I guess you'd have to ask him. For me, there are plenty of people with active nice tanks.
I get it but I don't feel I or anyone else can't give great info due to not having a tank at the moment. I get the saying though.

doughboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

That happens in for sale forums. People selling things that don't exist. Highly photoshopped corals, the ultimate fake news in this hobby. :)
If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 64 39.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 21.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 56 34.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.7%
Back