Is R2R your main source for reefing information?

Is R2R your main source for reefing information?

• Yes i always go here first.

Votes: 351 80.3%
  • Sometimes but i mostly rely on my lfs for their experence and knowledge

Votes: 26 5.9%
  • Youtube for it's informative videos.

Votes: 62 14.2%
  • Bulk reef supply TV

Votes: 99 22.7%
  • Books and magazines.

Votes: 25 5.7%
  • My local reef club

Votes: 32 7.3%

• Total voters

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It took many years for R2R to replace RC as my main forum. While most would agree that place has really gone downhill.

I'd not agree to the latter, but I do use both equally now where it used to be just RC. It's how they handle pictures/photos that got me here. It's the lack of shilling that keeps me there.

Alfrareef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd not agree to the latter, but I do use both equally now where it used to be just RC. It's how they handle pictures/photos that got me here. It's the lack of shilling that keeps me there.

Lack of shilling? What do you mean?

andrewkw

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

To be more accurate it's stayed exactly the same. I did not mean this as a knock on RC even though they can be frustrating. The photos is probably what got me here too. I just mean there are less and less posts each day and no plans to change anything at all. It will still be useful as long as it's around, but imo unlikely to ever get back to where it was.

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I use allot of different forums and media. They all offer something different.
I also use the other breeder forums because they offer the most for breeding because that is their focus.
There are allot of forums out there and some private forums most do not even know about.

R2R and facebook are probably the two I use the most right now.

One thing about Rev is he never bashed RC and I respect him for it. He even used it at sometimes when R2R was just a zoa forum. So I do not know why others should nock on RC. There are some very good people there and I have used it for 18 years.

Last edited:

landlubber

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
no question that R2R is the best forum but at the end of the day qualified people aren't always the ones answering the questions and misinformation still gets spread. BRS has covered the base topics and how-to's accurately which is why they deserve the nod. R2R is next up after that.

samnaz

Earthling
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Every single one? That sounds like a challenge LOL.

A long time book hoarder myself, though I certainly don't have all published (just the good ones). Got most of my knowledge from books and fellow long-timers; though places like R2R or RC are very helpful for new products and practices.
oh, yes, I am up for the challenge ;-)

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not to be biased because i am reef squad, I will say the most current information and trends can be found here. You can't go anywhere else for categorized information to whatever question you have. Also thankful for BRS to put a lot of R2R questions, trends, methods, and ideas to test.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just mean there are less and less posts each day and no plans to change anything at all.

That is certainly true! Any social media platform (FaceBook included) is only as useful as the sum of the participants. RC has lost a degree of relevance in large part because there are so many places to choose from now (and their tech is old). But I am sure the OP does not want this thread to become a discourse on the various forums. I think it is a great shame that the internet has largely killed off physical reef publishing. While on-line is a great source of timely information, it is also an equally good source of misinformation. Writing a book takes knowledge and commitment; typing out a post or making a video on youtube requires neither.

Last edited:

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lack of shilling? What do you mean?

Perhaps an overly pejorative word choice, but I meant no contests, giveaways, sponsored content, etc. That appears the way of the future, whether one likes it or not. Do not misunderstand, I like R2R a lot and participate here, but I also like RC - generally for different things. Horses for courses as the English would say.

Ruben's Reef

Ruben's Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I start looking for Saltwater fishkeeping information I went to Google and a few forums came out that I search and been a member of a few of them but one I hit R2R I found the root of the tree. Not only the welcome from a lot of members but also the answer and suggestions to my questions in a few minutes after was posted. So to me, all the information I need is here and of course the videos like BRS and Marine Depot that's helps a lot.

SallyWho

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have so few local resources- one small LFS, and none of the employees had ever heard of bean animal overflows before I asked about them- and while there is a local FB page for saltwater enthusiasts, it's not very active. About 3 years ago, I started regularly haunting R2R. In fact, while I was working full time and doing school full time, allowing myself an hour on here on the weekends was a reward for getting my assignments done! Before I discovered R2R, it was mainly Youtube.

doughboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
r2r or not, just as with anything you read on the internet, take it with a grain of salt, and always verify. Don't accept what you read at face value. There's a reason why internet cannot be used as a source in academic documents. There's just too many self proclaimed experts on the internet, and also fake news. :)

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 46 35.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 21.5%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.7%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.7%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 32 24.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back