Is random torch death just a thing with torches?

OP
OP
Morpheosz

Morpheosz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well thanks everyone for validating / commiserating :D I'm pretty bummed as this guy was by all appearances very healthy, flesh way down the skeleton (1-2"), etc. I am hoping that I just lose the couple of heads that are goners as the rest is still looking ok. At the rate it was growing, I can tolerate the loss of a few heads as I was going to need to frag it sooner or later anyways, I just really don't want to lose the colony. There's just something mesmerizing about the torch polyp movement that I love watching more than anything else in the tank :)

kartrsu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been in the same boat and largely agree with all prior posts. I've lost $1000s on high end torches that seem to suddenly self destruct. For me, I stay on top of monitoring the flesh every day and look for signs of recession, even if slight. If it continues to progress, I do antibacterial dips or in tank treatment. Sometimes, it can be fish or inverts bothering them. I have digitate hydroids in my tank and they can sting the flesh and cause recession. I haven't had issues with water changes or minor changes in reef chemistry upsetting torches, but stability is of course the best. Fragging off diseased heads is always a good idea if dipping doesn't work. Finally, you can consider a frag tank to not keep all your frags in one basket. I've disturbed my sand substrate and probably stirred up a dangerous bacterial bloom and was only able to save torches by dipping and moving to a stable tank. Oh, one more. Never feed a diseased or unhappy torch. Recipe for further disease IME.

Fishingandreefing

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another same here. I got few of torches from local reefers. Some were growing and all the sudden it went down hill quick. I lost countless heads and now still loosing them slowly. This also include other euphyllias.

I tried Cipro and didn’t help. So now I just leave it and let it ride to see.

I checked my parameters and nothing out of the norm much. Both are matured tanks and got the same problems.

doubleshot00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like others have stated. Keep mag high, flow is super important, especially as they grow and indo torches do best.

My flow is blasting my torches. I just went to TopShelf and they blast there torches to.

Fishingandreefing

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like others have stated. Keep mag high, flow is super important, especially as they grow and indo torches do best.

My flow is blasting my torches. I just went to TopShelf and they blast their torches too.
I dosed about 35ml of mag for my 120g and it tests at about 1500 by Hanna and salifert at about 1350. So that should be ok and flow I am going at moderate. It’s not doing too great already and if I crank up the flow high, the poly will literally fall off.

Rkschunk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It seems that most have or have had problems with torches here they are fine, but sometimes I lose some mouth, I had a lot of spawns and to tell you the truth even my clans have torches, Even with the losses I still feel privileged. Grateful

Attachments

• IMG_20230817_194931.jpg
    IMG_20230817_194931.jpg
    172.2 KB · Views: 35

Fishingandreefing

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It seems that most have or have had problems with torches here they are fine, but sometimes I lose some mouth, I had a lot of spawns and to tell you the truth even my clans have torches, Even with the losses I still feel privileged. Grateful
Had a baby ever grown to a full size? I had prob twice experience with it but ended up disappearing

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 102 75.6%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.1%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 5.9%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back