Is Reefing Dying?

HB AL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bed to differ! :) We're not losing traffic but gaining and have for for the past 10 years. Also I know you don't post much but we don't allow flaming here and we don't just tell people to search. Also it seems you run FB groups so you might have a little bias. ;)
Very well said and facebook is the last place i would go to ask advice on a reef subject, i have a question i google some answers and post the question here.

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I greatly favor forums over Facebook for something like reefing, and the primary reason is the archiving of knowledge.

When someone like Dana Riddle, Humblefish or Randy Holmes-Farley posts here, that knowledge is available to all seekers for years to come. Were the greatest reefers on the planet to post to Facebook (who knows ... maybe they do) their wisdom is inaccessible in a week or two.

~Bruce, planning to stick around

me_to

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm three months into this new hobby.
Added my first fishes last weekend.

I've enjoy learning about reefing and continue to learn. It seems to be an endless journey.
New products, methods (Triton/Zeovit,. . .) and discoveries (bayer insect killer dip - I thought this was a hoax).

Staring from no knowledge it took time and patience. Lots and lots of patience.

Most people today want instant satisfaction and simple.
Turn a key, push a button, and GO.
I believe there is no true reefing plug-and-play without spending lots of $$$$ for someone else to do it for you.

But what do I know I've been at it for 3 months :)

Mark-Stover

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been reading for about a year, changed plans a dozen times, and all I have to show for it is an empty (holding fresh water actually..) 60g-ish tank with a drilled overflow. My paint job on the back sucks (queue frustration). Bought equipment piece by piece. Just to look at it new in box weeks/months later to wonder if I should have gotten this or that instead (queue more frustration).

Soon.. I will have my stand built and plumbing, then.. then I can say that day with my first load of saltwater, I am in the hobby. For now it is more like an inquiry. About 1,000$ inquiry.

--

I think the whole daily milliliters of this or grams of that kind of put off new people like myself. So I need to remember to check this element with this test and then dose X to get values of this. Wait, X tester comes with X tests and I have to use it every other day, but I need this test and that one too.. and then the $ screams in my ear.. Upkeep more-so than initial setup costs.

Then I see, oh just change x% water weekly. Oh you can use a fuge with macros to pull out n+p. You really only need these few tests. KISS, ok I can roll with this, read some more.

Then I see algae scrubbers and weekly water changes as viable alternatives and think "I can do that no problem." I have access to free NSW and prefer removing algae, heck I can get free wild Ulva to seed. So'n-so's tank looks great using this method. So I read some more..

Problem is.. I still keep reading. And it causes me to change my mind. lol

--

But yeah, as new to the scene, I dont think it is dying. If it is, I call dibs on killing it.

Man this sounds like me....I’ve been reading this forum nightly, have watched BRStv videos to the point that Ryan seems like a family member. I’ve started buying stuff on sale, but not much. I started with the RODI system and QT tanks. I figure I won’t even get to the display tank purchase for another 9 months or so. I really am excited to embrace this hobby but the expenses and knowledge needed to succeed are very intimidating, so I study. I am extremely greatful to all of you who continue to take the time to post on this site and are willing to post not just your successes, but how you deal with failure. I know I too will fail....a lot. But I’ve not read anyone here say this will be easy. For me, that will make the hobby that much better...I love a challenge....if I didn’t, I never would have had kids.

Mark-Stover

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Hobbie is just like any other people see it and think it's cool and want to do it and then they don't realize the work and time or get bad advise. But on the other hand there are a few that stay and develop a real passion. I got back in about ten years ago and me being in the military hasn't made it easy. I have moved my 260 and live stock 5 time's and thousands of miles. Over the last few years. I am finally coming to a end in my career and have moved it for the last time. At one time I had 8 different tanks going. But to answer your s question I don't think it is dieing but I do think like most hobbies it runs in cycles

Thank you for your service! I wouldn’t even have tried freshwater tank while I was in. All the moves were killers.

SnookNRedZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reefing in its most basic form comes down to devoting time and effort to maintaining these systems. Those new hobbiest who give up easy, or cannot comprehend the strict maintenance it requires, every week, every day even fall out because their personality isn’t conducive of one that can maintain a nice tank. Perhaps they bit off more than they could chew all because they want a cool tank, I mean who doesn’t. That’s why we’re all here.

I don’t post too often because of work schedule( and no computer, I’m all iPhone based). My company builds event seating and scenic for PGA, NCAA, NASCAR, etc. so I have a lot going on, constantly, which isn’t consistent with keeping a reef. I may have to be out of town for a couple weeks, and rely on apex and eco smart live to monitor my tank, and have someone take care of it. I’ve managed to find a way to progress through the hobby almost 7 years now through college and moves and jobs etc. but most would have given up.

Imo it’s not dying, living in Florida the scene is alive and well. I visit WWC once a week, only because my warehouse is on the same street. But with that being said as well, if you don’t have a nice supply of fish stores or access to reef clubs, this hobby seems to be you against the world. And the “world” has these beautiful 10k$ plus tanks and you have a piggy bank savings to work with. The more people in the hobby now mean more access to equipment, livestock, and info to go around.

It’s a hobby that everyone will experience moments in time where you contiplate why you do it, and most people find more & more excuses to why they should stop. I have to move here soon and it’s just another bump in my reefing journey. But I’m not gonna stop. It’s in my blood.

andrew james

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK so anyone got any $20 frags lol
I have a bunch of frags I've been selling locally for between $20-30 but I dont ship because too many problems. Mostly though I bring 5 or so to trade to the LFS for Salt and mysis.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have kept fish for over 60 years and reefing from the first day it started in the US in 1971. I think when you start this is an expensive hobby, but then it is kind of cheap. When you are inexperienced and you lose livestock, it can get very expensive. But if you stay in it for a number of years and don't believe everything you read on the internet, you will become knowledgeable and your fish will only die from old age so if you buy a fish for $50.00 and it lives for 10 years, that is $5.00 a year, not to much. But if you keep buying $50.00 fish and they live a week, that is expensive. Most of our fish should live 10 or 15 years so they don't really cost that much. It's even cheaper with corals, unless you are killing them. A small frag maybe be $12.00 and if it grows into a 10" piece and lives for a decade, it's pretty cheap.
So after you gain enough experience you should rarely lose fish. Then you will also know what your parameters are without testing so you don't have to buy test kits. If I want to test anything I bring some water to an LFS and they test it for free. I also rarely change water because I can tell when, and if it is needed so I don't spend much on salt. I keep my fish in a state of immunity so I don't need hospital or quarantine tanks or medications. But that all comes after quite a few years of making mistakes and killing livestock. You can't learn it by reading, you need to do it.
It was easier in the beginning, before the internet because there is now too much information out there and a lot of it is wrong or even harmful. Anyone can post anything as fact and many people will believe it and try it even if that person got out of the hobby many years ago.

Rtsaiskyblue

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is amazing to read about all the comments on the reef keeping hoppies. I grew up with fresh water fish tanks and other pets. Salt water and reef tanks are my new hoppy for 4 years now. I’m learning everyday by reading the posts like this, searching on internet for answers or just going to the local aquarium stores to get more ideas.

From the beginning of spending $1400 to set up a new 40 gallon coral tank without knowing a thing to now that I can pace myself and relax knowing everything will be ok. RODI system, salt and water mix ratio, important weekly partial water change etc...... and I am still learning...... my idea is that if I can’t keep the coral alive, I will not buy it again the second time.... lolz simple and stupid.

Just keep it in routine and keep everything simple and stupid so I will be able to take care of the tanks in a easier way without getting frustrated.

Happy Reef Keeping! Everyone!

JerSaint

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Absolutely not! I do agree it’s a bit cyclical but I think it’s a strong and almost addictive hobby.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Absolutely not! I do agree it’s a bit cyclical but I think it’s a strong and almost addictive hobby.

Just a suggestion =post what you are talking about - or no one knows what you are talking about

Lynchdude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So what makes most get out. Light choice, tank size, maintenance involved, time required.
The people see these awesome tanks that took years to grow out and want it now. When they rush and crash everything the give up sell everything and never look back that’s just my view

Grey Guy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think if the maintenance and time required becomes an issue, you have to wonder why you entered the hobby in the first place. For me, I enjoy working on my tank and seeing it thrive. Sure I get frustrated, but who doesn't. People in this hobby will buy the most expensive equipment and have no idea how to use it. Buy corals and not know how to care for them. I have freshwater fish as well so it's double maintenance for me. It's just something I enjoy. So, I definitely think that people lose interest and probably because this is far from an easy hobby but, there are many who embrace it and figure out how to endure.

Find me an LFS that doesn’t tell a newbie that a reef tank is not that difficult, or “It’s a lot easier than you think.” Lol

Grey Guy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably part of it is access to local stores to see aquaria. Now everything is done online. Which to people who are interested in reefing is great - but - it does little to stimulate 'new interest'. People used to walk into a 'pet store' and say - I want that. Now they do not - at least not to the degree they used to. Im not sure that many people 'get out' per se - but are they as many people 'getting in'?

If I’de never seen a reef tank in a store or a fish display of any kind in person, don’t know if I would ever have started. Still remember the awe of seeing thriving reef tanks in one location. Ever since then, I just had to have one. A picture may be worth a thousand words, but the real deal just blows you away.

Grey Guy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even after the tens of thousands I have thrown out over the years.... my passion is stronger then ever. I think a lot of newbies have no idea of the financial burden, time commitment, and constant up and downs that are required to operate a thriving reef system. This is a costly hobby. I see a lot of people try to cut corners. My advice to any new people is to make sure you have expendable income. At the shows, I love to talk with new reefers and constantly push these reef forums on them to educate themselves. There is tons of free information here and there. A lot of times
It’s trial and error. Many cases you need to waste a lot of money learning things the hard way.

Wish it wasn’t true.

Grey Guy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, been reading this post a while, but not all of it yet. One thing that’s probably here some where that I havn’t read yet, is the old “patience thing”. And free time. It has been said many times that we live in a fast paced world, where everyone wants instant this and instant that. How many people grow there own gardens any more. There aren’t any in my neighborhood. Time and patience are 2 things in short supply (money too). Time and patience are the two things, I would rate as the most important, in order to have a successful reef tank. We look at the beautiful reef displays and decide “That’s for me!”, without knowing or understanding what kind of person it takes to be successful at such an endeavor. If you are an impatient, got to have it now type person, then reefing is not for you. Unless you want to pay for someone else to come in regularly to maintain your tank. But that would hardly be considered reef keeping would it?

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 43.1%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 20.3%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 42 34.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.4%
Back