Is something eating my brain? Infection?

Reefinmike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all, I’ve had this brain for about 6 months and it’s never really been too happy in my no nutrient, high light tank. Once i found the right spot for it it stabilized but never really thrived. It has been in a constant state of recession for a good month now. The healthy portion seems happy and opens up at night or when i feed. Initially I thought the tissue was receding because my hermits started bothering it when the tank ran out of algae. I could never tell if they were eating the coral, the slime it produced or algae on the dead skeleton. They started bothering my montiporas as well so I removed them. I never saw them pinch at living flesh but they certainly irritated corals. Then some other lps started looking like they were getting chewed on and I narrowed it down to my long spine urchin. I caught him on the brain once but again, not certain if he was eating algae, slime or coral. I had a urchin a while back that would eat on my orange plate.

It has been about ten days since I removed the urchin and the coral continues to receed with a line of either bacterial funk or coral guts. I can see a good amount of copepods meandering around the dead skeleton and on the line of death. Could the copepods be eating the coral or are they just “cleaning up” the dead flesh? In 6 months I have only added the urchin(not qt’d) and a monti frag(qt’d two months).

I do have a number of unidentified hitchhikers here https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/worms-hydroids-snails.487608/ however I’ve never spotted them near the coral. The only fish in my 90 are a couple clowns, 4 bar gobies, and a yt damsel. I have a big coral banded shrimp but i’ve never seen him on the coral. All parameters are near ideal aside from zero nitrate(and presumably phos) despite heavy feeding.

5BEC078F-4968-4D34-8E73-98292D6C2FCA.jpeg

E738486F-11BE-4CA5-8F60-41C281BB14CF.jpeg

24AAAF9A-4C3F-475C-916B-060A66A82570.jpeg

mich2599

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a similar problem with a trachyphillia. It had dead tissue over night. Lots of pods were around the dead skeleton. I finally decided to take it out and take it to a fish store and hour away in hopes it would make it. A month later I went to check on it and it was gone :( I did too have a long spine urchin that constantly got on top of my corals and did damage them. As for your coral something may have bothered it or there was a parameter swing the tissue started to die and then it got infected. You also mentioned you have a low nutrient tank. What are you Nitrates and Phosphates at? It may be starving if you aren't feeding it enough.

OP
OP
R

Reefinmike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m unsure of my phosphates but my nitrate tests at 0.0 with a nyos and red sea kit. I haven’t bought a phosphate test but i will if I decide to start dosing. I have a thread under tank nutrition discussing this.

I cant say the coral has been thriving at any point but the flesh remaining looks very happy and healthy. I have several other lps and most are doing well. A number of euphyllia, trumpets, plates, favias chalice etc. they are growing ok and healthy but have a somewhat dull coloration from the low nutrients.

image.jpg

OP
OP
R

Reefinmike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Selcon is basically amino acids right? My daily food cube has roughly 3 grams of pe mysis soaked in ~1/3ml of selcon.

I’m a bit out of the loop with these new reefing methods and dosing techniques. I’ve had reef tanks for 13 years but took a break of sorts for 4 years. My journey back to high caliber reefing started early this year.

mich2599

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cant say I do not use that product. Should say on the label what its contents are.

OP
OP
R

Reefinmike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I picked this up because I remember having success with it 7-10 years ago. Most reef quackery from back in the day isn’t still being produced so I figured it couldn’t hurt.

22CFF4EC-B212-4149-867F-9D1C73A3943F.jpeg

mich2599

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Start feeding more. If you have a protein skimmer I would turn it off for a day or two. I’m not saying low nutrients are the root cause but lps like dirty water :) Have you given it an Iodine dip?

OP
OP
R

Reefinmike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just doubled up my feeding with an autofeeder though i dont think low nutrients is the main thing attacking this brain. I have plenty of other lps that are all doing very well aside from not being as colorful as they could be. I’ll have to pick up some lugols locally to see if it helps.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.7%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 26 15.0%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 83 48.0%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 54 31.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.9%
Back