Is tempered glass okay to use for an aquarium?

toi_ss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes i searched it before starting this thread but lots say yes lots say no. I'm using tempered glass because it's so much cheaper then buying local non tempered glass here in New Zealand. Glass thickness is 10mm on the bottom and 8mm sides. 200x100x36cm is the dimensions. The glass isn't heat soaked and i'm worried about the tank shattering as a rimless tank.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it is flat it can be siliconed together.

Problem with tempered glass is that you can’t drill it. If you try it will explode into tiny pieces. You will have to use a siphon overflow and those are scary imo.

OP
OP
toi_ss

toi_ss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it is flat it can be siliconed together.

Problem with tempered glass is that you can’t drill it. If you try it with explode into tiny pieces. You will have to use a siphon overflow and those are scary imo.
The piece I have on the side has a notch cut into it already, got it custom from the company that made the glass. It fits a 30 cm long weir, and im planning on an external overflow box - the bottom piece of the overflow box will be non tempered but everything else is (display tank, sump baffles, sump, external overflow except for bottom piece)

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The piece I have on the side has a notch cut into it already, got it custom from the company that made the glass. It fits a 30 cm long weir, and im planning on an external overflow box - the bottom piece of the overflow box will be non tempered but everything else is (display tank, sump baffles, sump, external overflow except for bottom piece)
Sounds like you have a good plan.

14 foot reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With international platform, maybe helpful to send photos.

Glass starts out as plate glass then many holes and slots can be cut into it prior to the temporing process. All custom showers are drilled and cut prior to temporing.

Tempered is not a problem, I had a custom 12' x 24" x 24" drilled back and bottome for closed loop back in the 90's before i had the plates tempored. the tank ran for ten years perfectly

OP
OP
toi_ss

toi_ss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With international platform, maybe helpful to send photos.

Glass starts out as plate glass then many holes and slots can be cut into it prior to the temporing process. All custom showers are drilled and cut prior to temporing.

Tempered is not a problem, I had a custom 12' x 24" x 24" drilled back and bottome for closed loop back in the 90's before i had the plates tempored. the tank ran for ten years perfectly
Yeah i am aware of the manufacturing process of tempered glass. So you think I will be alright with a fully tempered tank even with exposed edges?

14 foot reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah i am aware of the manufacturing process of tempered glass. So you think I will be alright with a fully tempered tank even with exposed edges?
it all comes down to thickness length and height, tall you go the thicker the glass. Tempered is stronger, but marginally

OP
OP
toi_ss

toi_ss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it all comes down to thickness length and height, tall you go the thicker the glass. Tempered is stronger, but marginally
Yeah, i'm just meaning like about the edges of tempered glass as they are weaker then float glass and if they chip the whole pane just completely explodes.

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, i'm just meaning like about the edges of tempered glass as they are weaker then float glass and if they chip the whole pane just completely explodes.
The edges are prone to damage from objects harder than the glass. So steel, ceramic, etc. there is a risk for sure but I assume you got pencil edges at least?

What size tank? I am not a fan of trinkets tanks for any reason but the tempered edges are not my greatest concern depending on size

14 foot reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Add euro brace plate glass with silicone. Problem solved and now 10 times as strong in the flex of the pains

OP
OP
toi_ss

toi_ss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The edges are prone to damage from objects harder than the glass. So steel, ceramic, etc. there is a risk for sure but I assume you got pencil edges at least?

What size tank? I am not a fan of trinkets tanks for any reason but the tempered edges are not my greatest concern depending on size
No, they are just raw edges - not polished or pencilled. The tank is 200x100x36cm (200 gallons) with 8mm sides and 10mm base panel. It's going to be rimless - constructed with the sides on top of the bottom panel and the front and back panels not on top of the bottom panel.

Edit: I'm just asking the company about pencil edges right now.

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes i searched it before starting this thread but lots say yes lots say no. I'm using tempered glass because it's so much cheaper then buying local non tempered glass here in New Zealand. Glass thickness is 10mm on the bottom and 8mm sides. 200x100x36cm is the dimensions. The glass isn't heat soaked and i'm worried about the tank shattering as a rimless tank.
Glass seems real thin to me.
Especially that 8mm side. 8mm glass bows and flexes real easy.
My tank is 19mm sides and 26mm bottom
183x76x61cm tank (72x30x24”)

OP
OP
toi_ss

toi_ss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glass seems real thin to me.
Especially that 8mm side. 8mm glass bows and flexes real easy.
My tank is 19mm sides and 26mm bottom
183x76x61cm tank (72x30x24”)
It has a safety factor of 7 - the tank is only 36cm high

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, they are just raw edges - not polished or pencilled. The tank is 200x100x36cm (200 gallons) with 8mm sides and 10mm base panel. It's going to be rimless - constructed with the sides on top of the bottom panel and the front and back panels not on top of the bottom panel.

Edit: I'm just asking the company about pencil edges right now.
I would be concerned with raw tempered edges, as they are much more prone to damage. I am not where i can do the math but 8mm would (back of napkin) give you a safety factor above 4 for that length and depth. I would have to run some numbers to determine possible bowing.

OP
OP
toi_ss

toi_ss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would be concerned with raw tempered edges, as they are much more prone to damage. I am not where i can do the math but 8mm would (back of napkin) give you a safety factor above 4 for that length and depth. I would have to run some numbers to determine possible bowing.
All the calculators I have used say 7 for my dimensions and glass thickness - also I'm going to get the glass flat edge polished

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see you posted while I was typing. If you are being told a safety factor of 7 I would not argue with it. I am not where I have the resources to do the math.

OP
OP
toi_ss

toi_ss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see you posted while I was typing. If you are being told a safety factor of 7 I would not argue with it. I am not where I have the resources to do the math.
Yup, do you think constructing the aquarium the way im planning to - having side pieces between front and back pieces but on top of the bottom panel and having the front and back pieces not on the bottom panel is safe?

Back