Can I Drill my 60 Gallon Aqueon Frameless Cube Aquarium?

LaBounty2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FYI this is my first post on R2R.

I just purchased a 60 Gallon Frameless Cube for half off at Petco over the weekend and I was just going to transfer everything in my 29 gallon over. Once I was home and thought about it I decided I would rather drill it if I can confirm it is not tempered glass. I have seen the videos where people use a laptop or cell phone screen and polarized sunglasses to test this, so I tried that out and everything showed non-tempered.

At this time I was feeling fairly confident but not 100% so I decided to do the same test on on a spare 60 gallon I have in the garage with bottom glass labeled as tempered do not drill. It showed the same non tempered glass results as the other tanks but this one is labeled tempered. I know something is worn I just don't know what. So now I am not very confident in this polarized lens with laptop screen test. I still want to drill but I don't want to destroy the new tank. I am set on using an overflow & sump but I would rather avoid the hang on back style. Any suggestions on my next steps?

OP
OP
L

LaBounty2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
L

LaBounty2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This year old thread says everything over 40 gallons is tempered due to a glass shortage.

https://forum.aquarium

This year old thread says everything over 40 gallons is tempered due to a glass shortage.

https://forum.aquariumcoop.com/topic/26721-no-more-drilling-aqueon-tanks-
I wonder if the shortage had something to do with Covid. I work for a manufacturer and during 2020-2022 we had all sorts of supply chain issues but most of those problems are over with now thankfully. I also saw where a fellow reefer was drilling and cutting his 60 gallon cube a few months ago.

1fishkeeper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just called them and asked them about this because I’m thinking about get one of their 60 gallon cubes. The guy on the phone told me all panels on it are non-tempered glass and can be drilled. They done this because of a demand for it. I might pick one up here in the next few weeks and try drilling it for a overflow.

OP
OP
L

LaBounty2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just called them and asked them about this because I’m thinking about get one of their 60 gallon cubes. The guy on the phone told me all panels on it are non-tempered glass and can be drilled. They done this because of a demand for it. I might pick one up here in the next few weeks and try drilling it for a overflow.
I have my tank ready to drill but I am waiting on my overflow to deliver. I will share the results once I have everything.

JN79

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really interested in knowing how the drilling process went for you! I bought an Aqueon 60 cube and hope to drill it. What kind of overflow did you install? How do you like it? I am considering the Eshopps Prodigy Slimline vs the modularmarine LOW PROFILE Overflow Box with REMOVABLE WEIR. Hoping for an intact tank with a quiet overflow!

Also interested in what you are using as a stand.
Just finished building a custom stand for mine.

OP
OP
L

LaBounty2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really interested in knowing how the drilling process went for you! I bought an Aqueon 60 cube and hope to drill it. What kind of overflow did you install? How do you like it? I am considering the Eshopps Prodigy Slimline vs the modularmarine LOW PROFILE Overflow Box with REMOVABLE WEIR. Hoping for an intact tank with a quiet overflow!

Also interested in what you are using as a stand.
Just finished building a custom stand for mine.
Hello and thanks for joining the conversation! My process is moving slower than I like but I drilled the holes with no problem. I was concerned for about 5 seconds but then it was kind of boring because each hole took more than 10 minutes. Bring a chair! I purchased a modular marine overflow but I have not installed it because I keep modifying my DIY stand. I will post pics soon, I hope.

JN79

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good to know, 10 minutes each sounds like a process! Can’t wait to experience 40 minutes of that action… I want to drill two return lines in too. Thanks for the inspiration! At least I know it CAN be done on this tank. We’ll see how it goes.
I feel your pain about the stand. Took me a long time to build something I was happy with. I’ll try to post a few pics of mine. Can’t wait to see the progress! Good luck!

IMG_9047.jpeg

IMG_9061.png

IMG_9058.jpeg

OP
OP
L

LaBounty2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good to know, 10 minutes each sounds like a process! Can’t wait to experience 40 minutes of that action… I want to drill two return lines in too. Thanks for the inspiration! At least I know it CAN be done on this tank. We’ll see how it goes.
I feel your pain about the stand. Took me a long time to build something I was happy with. I’ll try to post a few pics of mine. Can’t wait to see the progress! Good luck!

IMG_9047.jpeg

IMG_9061.png

IMG_9058.jpeg
I like the look of that stand!

JN79

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks!

Forgot to ask if you leak tested your cube. If so, for how long?

I had mine on the stand in my garage this fall fully filled, with a marineland emperor 400 hanging on the back panel, and two Jeabo SOW-20 power heads (also attached to the back panel) blowing full force towards the front panel. I let it run that way for a month. I also completely drained the water and refilled it twice. I wanted to stress test it. It survived, but if I’m being honest, the silicone job along the seams could be better.

OP
OP
L

LaBounty2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks!

Forgot to ask if you leak tested your cube. If so, for how long?

I had mine on the stand in my garage this fall fully filled, with a marineland emperor 400 hanging on the back panel, and two Jeabo SOW-20 power heads (also attached to the back panel) blowing full force towards the front panel. I let it run that way for a month. I also completely drained the water and refilled it twice. I wanted to stress test it. It survived, but if I’m being honest, the silicone job along the seams could be better.
No I didn't, maybe I will setup this weekend in the garage while I work on the stand.

SnubbsDebolt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just bought a 60g cube at Petco. Do you guys have any updates and pics? Plan to order an overflow and drill my thank soon.

OP
OP
L

LaBounty2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just bought a 60g cube at Petco. Do you guys have any updates and pics? Plan to order an overflow and drill my thank soon.
Work has been interrupting my hobbies lately but hoping to get back on it soon. I will 100% post once I have it setup and running.

JN79

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought the modular marine 1200 overflow. It seems very well made! The drill bit and template are nice. Waiting on warm weather to drill the aquarium. Hoping to get the water level 2-2.5 inches below the top of the glass while the return pumps are running. Wondering how much to trust the water line mark on the drill template to be accurate when it’s all said and done… Kinda watching to see where LaBounty2 ends up in that respect.

Here is a pic of the project as it is currently.
IMG_9278.png

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 35 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 6.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 13.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 122 57.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.6%
Back