Aqueon 75g Tempered vs Non-Tempered glass thickness?

Skay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently purchased a 75g from petcos sale with the intention of drilling. I am fully aware of the possibility of panels being tempered, so i used the polarized glasses test. The glass panel passed said test, only to shatter completely upon drilling. Petco was nice enough to replace the entire tank but unfortunately they only had one 75 left so i took it home. Upon redoing the test i realized i am suffering from the future of technology, i have no lcd screens to test with only oleds including my laptop. Which means my tests have been faulty from the beginning. The only thing i have now is the glass thickness, i read tempered glass is thinner and possibly lighter. Upon bringing the tank home me and my girlfriend immediately noticed it felt alot heavier. Anyways, anyone have a for sure tempered 75 they can compare the glass thickness to mine? Or a drilled one to do the same? Would greatly appreciate it.

57648502-4FC8-4E3C-814A-C1FC935F1FAB.jpeg

56FCF77E-DD33-4E3B-962D-491D15893C21.jpeg

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently purchased a 75g from petcos sale with the intention of drilling. I am fully aware of the possibility of panels being tempered, so i used the polarized glasses test. The glass panel passed said test, only to shatter completely upon drilling. Petco was nice enough to replace the entire tank but unfortunately they only had one 75 left so i took it home. Upon redoing the test i realized i am suffering from the future of technology, i have no lcd screens to test with only oleds including my laptop. Which means my tests have been faulty from the beginning. The only thing i have now is the glass thickness, i read tempered glass is thinner and possibly lighter. Upon bringing the tank home me and my girlfriend immediately noticed it felt alot heavier. Anyways, anyone have a for sure tempered 75 they can compare the glass thickness to mine? Or a drilled one to do the same? Would greatly appreciate it.

57648502-4FC8-4E3C-814A-C1FC935F1FAB.jpeg

56FCF77E-DD33-4E3B-962D-491D15893C21.jpeg
You cannot tell if glass is tempered just by thickness. You have to use a polariscope.
You can get a cheap polariscope on Amazon for about $20

fishface NJ

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have an IPhone? I have use that with polarized sunglasses. When using the phone and sunglasses check the end of the glass panels to see if it tempered or not. Much easier to notice the streaks if it is tempered at the ends

OP
OP
Skay

Skay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have an IPhone? I have use that with polarized sunglasses. When using the phone and sunglasses check the end of the glass panels to see if it tempered or not. Much easier to notice the streaks if it is tempered at the ends
i believe my phone is too new the test doesn’t work with it. i’ll try again looking at the ends

OP
OP
Skay

Skay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was able to use my old computer monitor, these are the results.

Side panel
4578B4C0-3EDE-4C5A-8C8B-BFBD561B11AE.jpeg

Bottom
09F34B28-D3FB-4CAE-A9DD-40818FFE6EBF.jpeg

There are clear patterns on the bottom but not the sides. Hoping for success.

OP
OP
Skay

Skay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For anyone in the future, i do have reason to believe glass thickness plays a part on wether a panel is tempered or not. At least for the aqueon tanks.

Here’s the thickness of a piece from the tank i shattered that was obviously tempered:
76DC7650-1F18-46A8-89A1-CBC2A8EE29C9.jpeg

And here’s the tank i just drilled:
BFBC8CAB-DBCE-4ACE-BCB5-FB91214AFA4D.jpeg

F2F6AEED-4B52-4A88-B3B3-0C34A4A027C6.jpeg

This isn’t an end all be all, but my actual first hand experience. When picking out a tank and you have no polarized lenses i suggest checking and getting the one with the thickest glass panels. Weight is also a factor, tempered being quite lighter. Anyways, just interesting finds. Hopefully this can help someone out in the future so they don’t go through what i had to go through.

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey great timing. I am just about to drill a 60 gallon. I did the glasses trick and didn’t notice any markings. How did you end up getting it to work?

OP
OP
Skay

Skay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey great timing. I am just about to drill a 60 gallon. I did the glasses trick and didn’t notice any markings. How did you end up getting it to work?
I used a for sure LCD screen from an old monitor and tested it on the bottom panel which is usually always tempered to see what to look for. Good luck!

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used a for sure LCD screen from an old monitor and tested it on the bottom panel which is usually always tempered to see what to look for. Good luck!

How did you know if your screen is lcd? I am at work surrounded by tempered glass and I cannot get the tempered patterns to show up through polarized glasses. I’m wondering if my screens are not lcd?

OP
OP
Skay

Skay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How did you know if your screen is lcd? I am at work surrounded by tempered glass and I cannot get the tempered patterns to show up through polarized glasses. I’m wondering if my screens are not lcd?
Make sure it’s old, pretty much the only way i was able to confirm. All my screens were oled

Readywriter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im dealing with this right now, just bought a 75 from the petco sale and the bottom panel which is marked as tempered shows nothing at all and all the side panels show some black streaks. The front and back panels are 1/4" and the side panels are 3/8", the bottom is 1/2".

Im pretty sure the bottom isnt tempered even though it is marked tempered and all the other panels are tempered. But do I roll those dice? Lol

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im dealing with this right now, just bought a 75 from the petco sale and the bottom panel which is marked as tempered shows nothing at all and all the side panels show some black streaks. The front and back panels are 1/4" and the side panels are 3/8", the bottom is 1/2".

Im pretty sure the bottom isnt tempered even though it is marked tempered and all the other panels are tempered. But do I roll those dice? Lol
From what I have read online about this, Aqueon uses a mix of panels to fulfill the orders for the Petco sales and doesn't guarantee which, if any, panels are tempered. So it is usually a roll of the dice unless you know how to spot the difference.

OP
OP
Skay

Skay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

got pics through lenses? the bottom i’m pretty sure is basically always tempered it could be your testing equipment. are those the exact measurements or are you rounding

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 80 55.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 7.0%

Back