Is the Apex Jr right for me?

demonspeedn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been thinking about getting a controller for a while, but have a hard time justifying the cost since my tank is running nice and smooth. My main concern is my heater failing and would like piece of mind.
I have a couple questions. First, Can I plug 2 800w heaters into it and have one only used as a backup if the first one fails? They are both Finnex brand with the temp controller.
Second, Do I need a PC to program or update? I don't own one, and don't want one.
Thanks,
Joe

Js.Aqua.Project

Reef Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Jr will meet your needs. It will handle the wattage especially if one heater is just a back up in case the primary fails.

You don't have to have a PC, with the Jr settings can be done from the Display, however it is a lot easier from a PC/Mac (or if you connect it to the internet and Apex Fusion even with a phone).

Daltrey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is a small learning curve to using an apex. You can download the manual from the apex site and read thru it. If that's something that doesn't interest you then it's definitely not for you.

As for me I would never run a tank without one just because it gives me peace of mind while I am away from home. Basically it will take over control of your tank in almost any emergency situation.

Screenshot_20171210-044923.png

Screenshot_20171210-044941.png

Screenshot_20171210-045010.png

Screenshot_20171210-045022.png

JBKReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would recommend getting an Apex for all the different advantages it has. There is some learning curve however it will make running the tank significantly easier. I purchased the Apex Jr and just wanted the basic controls and redundancies. since then I've upgraded to several of their modules to make the tank more stable.

That being said, I would think there are heater controllers out there which you could purchase and use for the simplicity of what you're looking for.

OP
OP
demonspeedn

demonspeedn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will read through the manual.
I would recommend getting an Apex for all the different advantages it has. There is some learning curve however it will make running the tank significantly easier. I purchased the Apex Jr and just wanted the basic controls and redundancies. since then I've upgraded to several of their modules to make the tank more stable.

That being said, I would think there are heater controllers out there which you could purchase and use for the simplicity of what you're looking for.
The Finnex heater has the temp controller, but this weekend something must've shorted out in the powerstrip I'm using and it quit working. Luckily I caught before my temp dropped too far.

JBKReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I have the apex JR, and inkbird controller, and two heaters I'm getting ready to make a post trying to figure out the best set up for what I have.

Redundant heater controllers layered on top of each other would work for you to not overheat, but if it fails off I'm not sure what can be done to ensure your backup kicks on. An apex JR and do that but multiple heater controllers might not.

five.five-six

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You would have to use ports 4 and 8 on the EB8 as the rest are rated at only 5 amps and those 2 are rated at 10. The problem with that is those are also the two low watage ports that work best with small dosing pumps for ATO which is a fabulous feature of the Apex line. If you got a 500W heater for backup, it would work on any of the 5A ports

don_chuwish

Smells something fishy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are you using to post here? A borrowed computer, or maybe a smartphone? Even if just a smartphone you could get a lot out of an Apex - alerts about temperature dropping for one. This recently saved me when I forgot to turn the heaters back on after doing maintenance. Over an hour drive away from my tank I was able to turn them back on with my phone.

A tank that requires such a large heater might want more than just the Apex Jr. though.

I'm pretty happy with my double redundant heater setup now:
Two 'dumb' Finnex heaters, each plugged into their own Inkbird controllers. Inkbirds are split across two different EB8 power bars. Apex temp probe is used to keep temp within a 0.5 degree range, while the Inkbirds are set to protect against overheating - turning off if their own temp probes sense anything over 82 degrees.
I got great help on the Neptune System's forum for configuring the code. As in, I didn't write it at all!

[INKBIRD1]
Fallback OFF
If Temp < 77.8 Then ON
If Temp > 78.2 Then OFF
If Time 00:00 to 11:59 Then OFF
If Temp < 77.6 Then ON
If Temp < 75.0 Then OFF

[INKBIRD2]
Fallback ON
If Temp < 77.8 Then ON
If Temp > 78.2 Then OFF
If Time 12:00 to 23:59 Then OFF
If Temp < 77.6 Then ON

Both heaters work half a day, so neither is just sitting unused. If one fails, or if the EB8 communication is lost, the other can cover for it. ("If Temp < 75.0 Then OFF" is a protection against a special failure scenario.)

JBKReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are you using to post here? A borrowed computer, or maybe a smartphone? Even if just a smartphone you could get a lot out of an Apex - alerts about temperature dropping for one. This recently saved me when I forgot to turn the heaters back on after doing maintenance. Over an hour drive away from my tank I was able to turn them back on with my phone.

A tank that requires such a large heater might want more than just the Apex Jr. though.

Two 'dumb' Finnex heaters, each plugged into their own Inkbird controllers. Inkbirds are split across two different EB8 power bars. Apex temp probe is used to keep temp within a 0.5 degree range, while the Inkbirds are set to protect against overheating - turning off if their own temp probes sense anything over 82 degrees.
I got great help on the Neptune System's forum for configuring the code. As in, I didn't write it at all!

[INKBIRD1]
Fallback OFF
If Temp < 77.8 Then ON
If Temp > 78.2 Then OFF
If Temp < 77.6 Then ON
If Temp < 75.0 Then OFF

[INKBIRD2]
Fallback ON
If Temp < 77.8 Then ON
If Temp > 78.2 Then OFF
If Temp < 77.6 Then ON

Both heaters work half a day, so neither is just sitting unused. If one fails, or if the EB8 communication is lost, the other can cover for it. ("If Temp < 75.0 Then OFF" is a protection against a special failure scenario.)

I think your post here might have just answsered a question I just posted in another thread. Thank you!

Neo Jeo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I have the apex JR, and inkbird controller, and two heaters I'm getting ready to make a post trying to figure out the best set up for what I have.

Redundant heater controllers layered on top of each other would work for you to not overheat, but if it fails off I'm not sure what can be done to ensure your backup kicks on. An apex JR and do that but multiple heater controllers might not.

Let me know when you do, I’m also interested

OP
OP
demonspeedn

demonspeedn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

[INKBIRD1]
Fallback OFF
If Temp < 77.8 Then ON
If Temp > 78.2 Then OFF
If Temp < 77.6 Then ON
If Temp < 75.0 Then OFF

[INKBIRD2]
Fallback ON
If Temp < 77.8 Then ON
If Temp > 78.2 Then OFF
If Temp < 77.6 Then ON

I'm using my work computer to post.
Is there an advantage to the Inkbird controllers vs. the Finnex controllers?

don_chuwish

Smells something fishy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm using my work computer to post.
Is there an advantage to the Inkbird controllers vs. the Finnex controllers?

Only that my heaters didn't come with a controller of their own. Originally I just let Apex handle it but eventually got wise enough to add the Inkbird's as additional protection.

ccerone

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the Jr, it was great in the beginning, but now I wish I bought the classic. I have been expanding it and have spent more on it now than if I bought the classic first. Just like everything else in this hobby. I always want to go bigger.

rck329

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started with a Jr on my 90g and moved it to my 40b when I took down the 90. IMO it's a great value. I even bought mine used and have added a few modules. And even as someone who's trying to simplify my setup, I wouldn't go without it. They just work so well and are so reliable - I can't say enough good things about it.

For my new setup I bought a used Classic base unit for ~$150 from a forum member, so you can always go that route.

GrouperStupor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Note that the Jr doesn't support the breakout box add-on. You can do really neat things with those.

Back