Is the hobby dead in CT?

JakeAndAmanda

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve actually been searching the marketplace and craigslist pretty much daily for a new tank,75-150. The tank I have is 55, mostly just been working on improvements but nothing special. Absolutely need a new anemone though.

JakeAndAmanda

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right now I’ve got a devils hand, some green leather thing I got at a fragging how to class at ctars, mind blowing palys, and some Kenya trees. Anyone got anything they want to part with?

ubasu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Andre, I get that, I understand how impactful this perceived pandemic has been on everybody. The endeavor was to try and see or gauge how badly it had affected the Hobby for us locally and for members and ex-members of the club.
Perceived? Are you saying the pandemics not real?

ubasu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lets keep Politics out of Reefing
Well its not really politcal. The pandemic is real. 350k americans are dead. If any one really doesnt believe covid exists. I can meet you and give it to you. Free of charge.

Mike_J

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well its not really politcal. The pandemic is real. 350k americans are dead. If any one really doesnt believe covid exists. I can meet you and give it to you. Free of charge.
Godspeed on your recovery.

Mike_J

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
verb
past tense: perceived; past participle: perceived
  1. 1.
    become aware or conscious of (something); come to realize or understand.
    "his mouth fell open as he perceived the truth"
1. 2.
regarded in a specified way —used to say how something or someone is seen, or thought of.
a perceived threat [=something that is thought of as being a threat]

capture

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had my second kid 4 years ago and got out of it just after. I missed it. Working from home prompted me to do it again as my wife and kids are at school while I'm solo.
So... I just got a whole setup I plan on putting it together tomorrow.

sassAwrasse

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all. Good to see some new members posting here.

Back in 2018, we thought the club might fold because there just wasn't enough interest in running the club. A few convinced me to stay on for another year, and we had a good 2019. Unfortunately I had to step away for 2020. With a new house, stress at work, and a terminally ill family member, CTARS was just too much for me at that time. The board that stepped in had alot of really great plans for 2020... covid-19 happened and I know that put a huge halt in things. I am happy to see lots of new people on the forum, and hope one day to see the club back to it's former glory.

What I will say to those interested in keeping it going, it takes time and commitment. It is not alot of work when it is divided evenly, but still requires a consistent level of commitment each month to keep it running..and probably even more so now with keeping people interested on Facebook, Instagram, and YouTube....and more so when planning fragtoberfest.

Previously, newly elected board members would have had to be a part of the club for a certain period of time before taking office. But I'm sure that can be changed based on the level of interest.

I also saw a few people posting about moving meetings around to different areas of the state.

We tried many times in the past to move the meetings around (moving around the state as well as changing from Sundays to saturdays) and still had mostly the same people attending all of the meetings.

The nice thing about the Lutz meetings in Manchester was that it was free space. We could never make everyone happy in this respect. We also never received alot of suggestions/help from many members to find other meeting venues that were free to the club. A few ideas here or there but not alot of help with research or follow through.

I can definitely offer some insight and advice to the new board. And should fragtoberfest be an option this year, I'd be happy to consult with the board as I helped run several of them over the years.

chevy4w

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Nicole....great to see a post from you today. You have done sooooo much for CTARS over the years and you very much deserve a break from it. There does seem to be momentum going here with some pretty energetic folks wanting to get CTARS moving forward again, myself willing to assume the position of secretary(if nominated) Just knowing we can count on you for advice, suggestion and letting us draw on your past experiences will add to our ability to be successful. You are one of the best....you helped make previous meetings so enjoyable and educational. Thanks Nicole for your post, there is hope for CTARS!

Ti64reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nicole I have heard some great things about your leadership and I think everyone is hoping to build on your hard work. Hopefully we can get it reinvigorated this year and make it better than ever.

kgstei

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right now I’ve got a devils hand, some green leather thing I got at a fragging how to class at ctars, mind blowing palys, and some Kenya trees. Anyone got anything they want to part with?
I have some purple sponge and devil's hand I can part with. I'd be interested inimd blowing paly if you had any to trade. I'm in Griswold

A.Jones

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I routinely check this site and it definitely does not get the activity that it used to. And yes Facebook is a horrible place to run a group like this. That being said all it really takes is more participation in this group to get things rolling again. Back when I joined this was a great place to learn about the hobby and it could be again. Is really no need to start a new group when you have one already in existence. I just hate the name of the group CTARS. I much prefer Connecticut Reef Club
Hear hear!
Volunteer for the board, bring some new energy and ideas!
All positions are open, all help is appreciated. As Nichole mentioned there's a lot of people that want to keep this club alive, bring new ideas, do more/new things but folks need to step up to help make that happen. It's a club of all of us, the board just helps facilitate what the club wants to do and the board has been under staffed with a lot of turn over. Thrown in covid which prevented a lot of the 2020 plans, including a summer event in New London to look for tropical fish, evidently they can be carried up to the sound via currents and won't survive the winter so the humane thing to do is put them in your tank ;) and of course Fragtoberfest which couldn't legally happen because of limits on gathering sizes, making 2020a tough year. Nichole was the only carry over from 2018 to 2019 because the new board members asked her to stick around another year and help transition which she kindly agreed to and then only two people from the 2019 board carried over to 2020 leaving a board stop open all year.
Even with all that, some good stuff happened. There was a great meeting on aminos in New London, there was a solid presence at FFM right before covid and the club had it's first meeting at Blake's Aqua Den which has promise as an alternate regular meeting location to try and get more people from around the state to attend in person.
So...point of my annoyingly long post full of run on sentences, let's keep this thing going, help out, join the board or offer to help in other ways.
GO CTARS!!!
Happy Season 9 GIF by The Office

Last edited:

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 22 31.4%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 56 80.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 11 15.7%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.0%
  • Other

Votes: 4 5.7%
Back