Is the recommended water change percentage outdated now that we have better filtration?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sulfur is as close to sulfate as it gets in testing.

sulfer.png

And here is the salinity reading, slightly elevated but not out of range.

salinity.png

This is what will actually cause me to do some water changes soon if the next test comes back elevated. I'm not even sure what the source is, I don't dose it. Must be something in the tank corroding, but I just replaced a bunch of stuff getting out the aluminum recently. I bought a new titanium heater from BRS is the only source I can think of, but it's not corroding. My nickel is also a tiny bit high, but not as concerning as this:

vanadium.png

Next test goes in the mail tomorrow(triton test rather than ATI, I have 3 tests left over from a sale), so i'm crossing my fingers I don't have to do water changes to address it. But I will if it comes to that. It'll take 3 water changes to get it below 100.

Of course sulfur gives the sulfate, but you had not given it here so it was impossible to tell if sodium and chloride were elevated relative to other ions. That’s what I was saying.

Screwgunner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
120 gallon system skimmer algea turf scrubber still trying to dial in scubber . Phosphates at .1 and going down slow. 1/2 teaspoon reef builder in each gallon of make up water. And once a week I add trace . I did do 5 gallon water changes at first. Now 0. Corals are happy and my flame angel eats bugs all day long. Pods that is . And I am a proud new Daddy of lord knows how many green chromis fry!

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Interesting discussion!

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back