Is the Seneye par meter any good?

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to get a par meter and am wondering if the Seneye meter is accurate enough for my LPS/softie tank. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance for your help?

Reefer Reboot

F.V.P.!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, good enough. I have both a Seneye and a Neptune Apex PAR meters. Both read extremely close to each other. With any water surface agitation the PAR level is going to be flickering around more that any deviation between these and the higher end ones anyhow IMO.

OP
OP
glb

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, good enough. I have both a Seneye and a Neptune Apex PAR meters. Both read extremely close to each other. With any water surface agitation the PAR level is going to be flickering around more that any deviation between these and the higher end ones anyhow IMO.
Would the Apogee be better?

U

User1

View Badges
Any good? Yes, it is. Little cumbersome to work with but to be fair it is a great tool and a reasonable price. In fact, every hobbyist should have it. Why you ask? Here is why:

1. Par meter. It does a decent job and gives you an idea. Better than not having anything or renting one for 70 bucks or so.

2. Out of water alarm. This is by far the best bang for the buck and why the cost of 200 dollar is moot. If you place this in your sump you can get an email notification that it is out of water. This may or may not mean anything but it could also mean the sump water level is low or a issue happened and you need to react. It is a great feature and another redundancy check.

3. Ammonia reading. If you run isolation or QT tanks you can place this in there, add a new slide, and get a good ammonia reading. Nice to have in my opinion.

One of the BRS videos on par meters shows that the Seneye is close to the higher dollar ticket items. It may be the one below or another one I didn't have bookmarked. Sorry about that but may get you started never the less. I own one and believe it is a great tool to have in our tool box. Par and monitor alone are great and well worth the price. Slides, I only used the one it came with but like the option.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is fine. It is not as good as an Apogee for pure light readings, but it is also not as expensive. In a real-world situation, the Apogee will give you better readings with their cosine corrected sensors and ability to get good reading with water moving and not being perfectly perpendicular to the source (or using a wide source like a T5). If you can stop all of the flow and make sure that you get it aligned perfectly, then it will get pretty close.

OP
OP
glb

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about this one?

Mical

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about this one?

I have a Quantum SQ-420 and it works great.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 4 22.2%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 14 77.8%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 4 22.2%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 2 11.1%
Back