Is the upgrade worh it?

gatorbait01

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Jul 21, 2017
Messages
235
Reaction score
155
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Who had done the upgrade to their orphek v4 fixture? If so, did you do both the control board and led panel? Using the gateway can be painful, but is the upgrade worh it? They have the discount on the full upgrade which is tempting, but not sure it's needed. Any opinions?
 
I am curious too. Especially since I just upgraded to the v4g2 right before the icon came out. But a few guys local to me that use the Orpheks have upgraded and they rave about it…..


corey
 
Not sure if you've already upgraded, but I'm in the same predicament. I reached out to their support and they said the LED board is not required, but when asked if it's an improvement, I can't get a firm answer. What did you end up doing?
 
I'll answer this without question. 100% the full upgrade is worth every bit of it. Tons more power than the v4s and the app makes every a ton easier.

I'll admit I like the v4 color rendition better with more violet and uv but I've gotten used to the icons.

The upgrades literally replace all the internals minus the heatsink and lenses. So if you're handy, you could build new fixtures with the v4 parts...

Not sure if it's just the leds, the boards, or a combination but the icons produce a ton more power and par than the v4s. I used to run my v4s at 100% on my blues and uvs, now my blues are at 80% max and uvs at 65% and run around the same par.

So in a nutshell, if you're on the fence, do it!!!
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 2 40.0%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 3 60.0%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 1 20.0%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 1 20.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new