Is there a way to fix leaky plumbing

Bthomas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just redid plumbing to my sump and have a couple joints where it's leaking slightly. One of which I had to put a cup underneath to catch the water as it was a pretty steady drip.
Is there a way to fix leaky joints without cutting it out and starting over?
Would smearing more cement around the outside help? Or maybe silicone?

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The "best" way of course is to redo it. I would not just smear pvc cement around the edges it works by softening the pvc and then it fuses the pvc together in a chemical bond. If I were going to try to seal a leak I would get it completely dry and use a fast setting 2-part epoxy.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would cut it out if you can. When you make a solvent weld, put plenty of solvent on the pipe and turn it a few times to make sure you get a watertight seal. I have used solvent on the outside to seal very small drips, but not larger ones.

OP
OP
Bthomas

Bthomas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really really don't wanna have to cut it out. It was such a headache and I hate doing plumbing.. I may try the 2 part epoxy first and see if that seals it.
Was even considering letting it run and see if salt creep could seal it

count krunk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sure 5200 caulk would seal it right up. I think it's reef safe once it dries.

You get better every time you work with PVC. You really should cut and redo of it's a major leak.

After I moved my tank my return around the bulkhead fittings has a veeeeery slow drip. I'm ignoring it until I move the tank again. Doesn't affect water level, it's like a drip every 10 minutes

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really really don't wanna have to cut it out. It was such a headache and I hate doing plumbing.. I may try the 2 part epoxy first and see if that seals it.
Was even considering letting it run and see if salt creep could seal it
I would try solvent first. I sealed a leak one time by 'dissolving' PVC shavings in some solvent. A bit messy, but worked.

CMMorgan

Counting my blessings...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My existing 90 gallon had this flex hose that was more like vacuum hose. I went with it because it was what the tank came with and it worked to run the tank plumbing through the wall. No matter what I did, that thing just dripped from the bulkhead. I had damp rid in the cabinet. I kept a bowl under it. I tried glue, I tried tightening the bulkhead, tightening the clamp. I had a similar drip on the inside of the sump where that same hose met the sump. I tried caulk, I tried Flex seal.
Eventually, salt creep built up and it stopped dripping. It has been running for about 3 years now. No longer a problem. That said, if I were you... I'd fix it properly.
Older, wiser and a better reefer ... I would have yanked that hose and started over. It would have saved years of worry about what mildew I will eventually find behind that stand. I'm soon to find out.

OP
OP
Bthomas

Bthomas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I'm thinking I may just rip it out and start over.
I'm just so tired of messing with it atm. Just transfered the whole 150 gallon from one tank to another and resetup everything. I'm tired/sore so it may just drip for a few days..

CMMorgan

Counting my blessings...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I'm thinking I may just rip it out and start over.
I'm just so tired of messing with it atm. Just transfered the whole 150 gallon from one tank to another and resetup everything. I'm tired/sore so it may just drip for a few days..
I feel you. Sadly ... that is how mine turned from a few days to weeks to years. LOL
I am rehoming that 90 to a new reefer. My greatest gift to him will be giving him two new bulkheads and telling him to go hard plumb it.

OP
OP
Bthomas

Bthomas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel you. Sadly ... that is how mine turned from a few days to weeks to years. LOL
I am rehoming that 90 to a new reefer. My greatest gift to him will be giving him two new bulkheads and telling him to go hard plumb it.
I will try not to let it go that long.. lol

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
YOu didn't post pics but take a look at these.

1619727521311.png

1619727556422.png

monkeyCmonkeyDo

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kill the flow. Let it dry out. Mark ur drip areas on ur pipe. U can get the above posted pieces and apply the pvc glue to them and slap em on or you can do as youve said and just apply some more glue at the joint to make a complete seal ring around the pvc fitting. Some paper towels and crack a window yo.
Lol
D

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would try solvent first. I sealed a leak one time by 'dissolving' PVC shavings in some solvent. A bit messy, but worked.
I've done this exact thing on a small drip on my mixing station. Worked great! Might even have been @ca1ore that suggested it. lol

Brian_68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Adding solvent can fix small leaks but if you don't want to worry about it failing when you may be away I would redo it.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I used Oatey Blue gel on mine and it has been 2 years- No leaks

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 58 40.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 22.8%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 33.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.4%
Back