Is there an ULR Phosphate/Phosphorous test that isn't based on jenky packets of powder?

anit77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am young, I get it....another peeve I have about the tester. I like to shake and shake and shake. Sometimes tester turns off. Complete buzz kill.
After you add the reagent into the vial and put the cap on start shaking it grab the tester with your other hand and push the button. When your done shaking rotate the vial on its side to remove the bubbles and shoot for getting the vial back in the checker with around 30 seconds left on the timer.

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After you add the reagent into the vial and put the cap on start shaking it grab the tester with your other hand and push the button. When your done shaking rotate the vial on its side to remove the bubbles and shoot for getting the vial back in the checker with around 30 seconds left on the timer.

This should be the next olympic sport, I guess you get it down to a tee after awhile but I don’t think I would be up for using a test that has so many variables to get exactly right or you’re doing another test to double check the result, and let’s face it the cost is a little on the high side for what it is.

neiltus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wait a sec, I checked my 70g yesterday and got 5ppb. Then I ran the unit on the standards and got 101....good.

Today i tested 34.

How many kilos of rowa should I run?

Facts omitted: fed corals yesterday with 20ml paste and dumped phyto.

I actually like the sensitivity of it, but it needs a special hand and head to run it.

neiltus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is that a dig at the OP! Not his fault he’s a little shaky ;)

No.

It's a sensitive unit. Breath on it wrong, dump food 20 minutes early, or anything of the like and run a test and make a weeks worth of decisions off one test....it will give a reefer fits.

that was a general comment to how people don't look at their tests in the perspective of a trend or realize that their actions 24 hours prior to might show up on the test-maybe for a day or so.....

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No.

It's a sensitive unit. Breath on it wrong, dump food 20 minutes early, or anything of the like and run a test and make a weeks worth of decisions off one test....it will give a reefer fits.

that was a general comment to how people don't look at their tests in the perspective of a trend or realize that their actions 24 hours prior to might show up on the test-maybe for a day or so.....

didn’t think it was, my sense of humour often misses :(

anit77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This should be the next olympic sport, I guess you get it down to a tee after awhile but I don’t think I would be up for using a test that has so many variables to get exactly right or you’re doing another test to double check the result, and let’s face it the cost is a little on the high side for what it is.
Too funny, love the reply.

I believe the 3min count down is for that purpose, the instructions just aren't the best. I've done a back to back test before and got results within the margin of error for the checker, I don't bother with that anymore unless I get a weird result. I'm color blind so most titration test are rough for me. This does the trick.

bigjgmac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
HannaPacket.jpg

This move - tapping sides with scissors is a nice trick.
It's not crucial that all the powder go in the vial. if you miss 10% of the powder, it won't change your result by 10% - you'll barely change the result. The reagents are present in excess and capable of forming color for way way more PO4 than can be read by the tester.

How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Packet
Spot on. Makes perfect sense.

CavalierReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really don't understand why people have so much trouble with these. If you shake it, then cut along the lines, then fold it (hard to describe), it creates a perfect funnel and gets everything.

I wouldn't be opposed to having another LR test, just my thoughts on the matter.

EDIT: Like this!

The OP says that his hands are a bit shaky. I also have a slight tremor and understand his situation completely. Getting powder from a small packet into a small vial isn't as easy as it use to be for some of us.

chadg

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Too funny, love the reply.

I believe the 3min count down is for that purpose, the instructions just aren't the best. I've done a back to back test before and got results within the margin of error for the checker, I don't bother with that anymore unless I get a weird result. I'm color blind so most titration test are rough for me. This does the trick.

I use three cuvettes. I fill one with SW from the tank and the other I prepare the PO4 with the powder (can shake as long as I want) and the other with Kh. PO4 checker press button, add SW. On add C2 swap to the PO4 cuvette press the button once quick and it reads right away. I do this twice. If the same reading, great. If not a third time and take the average. Then do the same for Kh. So, prep all three cuvettes at once then do both tests in about two min. Works great!

hllb

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This has been addressed many times throughout the years. Too bad @Hanna Instruments will never give a reason to why they use those stupid packets instead of tubes...

my guess is greedy $$$$
My guess would be that the powder will react to air, so having a large container you open frequently would degrade the powder somehow. That's why you would have single use packets instead of a larger container with a scoop.

JMR5

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am young, I get it....another peeve I have about the tester. I like to shake and shake and shake. Sometimes tester turns off. Complete buzz kill.
I do two vials...so I shake and shake one, before ever turning on the checker. Saves that, "gah!" when you see an empty display. Lol

The0wn4g3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wait so are you suppose to wait the full 3 minutes or not?

This is my process:
1. Fill vial (a) with RO water
2. Fill vial (b) with tank water
3. Add reagent to vial (b)
4. Shake vial (b) for 2 minutes
5. Press checker button
6. Add vial (a)
7. Press checker button
8. Add vial (b)
9. Hold checker button
10. Wait 3 minutes.

Has anyone checked right after shaking and then at 3 minutes? Because I've noticed my tests results decrease when I retest after 3 minutes.
For example, 3:00- 44, 3:20- 35, 3:40- 25, 4:00- 7, 4:20- 0. Everytime I've retested the reading is always lower.

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My guess would be that the powder will react to air, so having a large container you open frequently would degrade the powder somehow. That's why you would have single use packets instead of a larger container with a scoop.
I think you got it right.
The powder needs to stay dry.

However the reason I worry about handling the packet (sachet :) ), is YOU SHOULD NOT breathe in the Powder.

Caustic and not good for your Lungs at all.

Try cutting one open in very bright light. Powder seaps out, and I stand back. Wash my hands too.

Cali-Saltwater-1st-Timer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hate these test kits. I just use Salifert now and go by that. Far more easier to use. Plus, I NEVER got reliable results from Hanna (probably due to the reagent spillage, etc).

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 86 76.1%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 13 11.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 7.1%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back