Is there any Halichoeres Wrasse that doesn't eat snails??

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can someone explain the difference between the Yellow Coris wrasse vs Yellow Silver belly Coris wrasse? @i cant think our resident expert?
They are two different sister species. I wouldn’t say completely different as actually they behave in the same way as eachother. Although the Halichoeres leucoxanthus (The Silver Belly Wrasse) remains slightly smaller than Halichoeres chrysus (The Yellow ‘Coris’ Wrasse). It’s honestly all your own opinion on which is nicer. I personally find Halichoeres leucoxanthus to be underrated as if you ever see a mature male Leucoxanthus then they really overpower the Chrysus.

Also, none of the Halichoeres wrasses you see labelled as ‘Coris’ wrasses are actually a true Coris species. The true Coris wrasses are from the genus Coris. This includes Coris gaimard, Coris formosa, Coris aygula ect…

Saltyanimals

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you. Same in every way suggest same in overall care. I was afraid it was different and thus I needed to be very specific when ID'ing the yellow coris as I wanted it in a reef safe tank with other wrasses.

Seymo44

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a red lined wrasse (sold as a Christmas wrasse) that I plan to put in my 65g full of different snail. I’ll let y’all know what it eats. Right now it’s fattening up in my QT.

ninjamyst

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a huge yellow coris and a smaller yellow silver belly coris. I have tons of astrea snails. They are fine. Once in awhile I replenish the snails since they are so cheap. Feed your fish enough and they won't go after snails.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a red lined wrasse (sold as a Christmas wrasse) that I plan to put in my 65g full of different snail. I’ll let y’all know what it eats. Right now it’s fattening up in my QT.
I’d be surprised if a Halichoeres biocellatus went after snails. These guys tend to be one of the safest species from that genus.

HomebroodExotics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Christmas wrasse as well. He doesn’t mess with the snails. He does terrorize worms and brittle stars.

Attachments

• B638B7F1-23F7-460F-9EED-BFC719A7D6B5.jpeg
    B638B7F1-23F7-460F-9EED-BFC719A7D6B5.jpeg
    327.7 KB · Views: 26

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 77 55.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.5%
Back