Is there any way to qt your inverts faster?

leo12345

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For a couple of years now I've been quarantining all inverts for 2 and a half months before i put them in in my tank and it’s getting kind of tedious now. Is there a way to qt them faster?

robotrash

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For a couple of years now I've been quarantining all inverts for 2 and a half months before i put them in in my tank and it’s getting kind of tedious now. Is there a way to qt them faster?

What are you doing in qt for them? I'm following because I'm mostly curious about what the actual likelihood of inverts bringing something in is. I've always temp/salinity acclimated and dropped in. Sometimes I'm even a tad lazy on salinity acclimation. The only exception is more expensive/complex inverts (starfish, shrimp, larger crabs) and even those are just drip acclimated for a few hours. Am curious on others' thoughts.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
L

leo12345

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are you doing in qt for them? I'm following because I'm mostly curious about what the actual likelihood of inverts bringing something in is. I've always temp/salinity acclimated and dropped in. Sometimes I'm even a tad lazy on salinity acclimation. The only exception is more expensive/complex inverts (starfish, shrimp, larger crabs) and even those are just drip acclimated for a few hours. Am curious on others' thoughts.
the likelihood of actually bringing something in from inverts is really low but id rather be safe than sorry.

Upvote 0

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are you doing in qt for them? I'm following because I'm mostly curious about what the actual likelihood of inverts bringing something in is.
You basically just observe them and feed them (no treatments) - it's really just keeping them in a fallow system so they don't spread ich, velvet, etc. As mentioned, the odds of them bringing in disease are very small, but it does happen every once in a while
(two examples in the threads below):
Is there a way to qt them faster?
76 days is going to be the most secure, but 60 days is what's currently recommended for most systems (and it's likely secure enough); that said, the minimum is 45 days at 81F. So, as long as you can keep the temp at or safely above 81F consistently, you can run the QT for 1 1/2 months instead of 2 1/2 months. Just remember that any wet addition to the tank during that time could be carrying disease, so you'd want to reset the countdown of the days left in QT if you add anything wet (inverts, live rock, live sand, etc.) to the tank during the QT.

Upvote 0

Inverted Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you raise the temp over 80.6 degrees the process will last 6 weeks. If the temp drops below that, you have to start the clock over (or just go the full 76 days). If you keep the temp at below 80.6 then it will have to be the full 76 days to be considered fully quarantined. If you are adding shrimp, you just have to wait for them to molt and then wait a few days for their exoskeleton to reharden then they are good. Urchins and starfish you can rinse with display water and put right in as there are no fish parasites that can attach to these guys. Hope that helps!

Upvote 0

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 65 34.9%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 25.8%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 59 31.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.3%
Back