Is there such a thing as too much?

Graham670

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 55 gallon tank with a 20 gallon sump...probably 60-70 gallons of actual water volume. i change 20 gallons every week ( approx 30% ). my question is, is there such thing as too much water change and is there such a thing as too often water change? Obviously i know its a terrible idea to change 100% ever, and so on so on, but im just wondering if there are any possible negatives to changing as much as i do every week?
Thanks, sorry for the newb question, but thats what i am.

CustomReefCreations

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Graham, i would say as far as the health of your reef there isnt really such a thing as too much on the water change side. you are replacing your calcium, Alk, and Mag using aquavitro salinity salt. Also the more SPS you are adding to your reef the cleaner they like the water so this helps. your LPS and softies like a tad bit dirtier water, this is the delicate balance of a mixed reef. HAHA welcome to my reality. I would say from a budgeting stand point that 25% water changes 3 times a month are sufficient. most people like to claim anywhere from 10%-25% weekly, however saying and doing consistantly are 2 different things.
people that have less equipment to help manage their reef also need to do more drastic water changes, however you have a skimmer, refugium, and a dual carbon and GFO reactor so your reef can be easier managed. remember equipment can make our lives easier but never replace water changes.
for everyone else, topping off is not a water change :) hahaha

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 34 27.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 41 32.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 30.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back