Is there such thing as too many corals in one tank?

Johnnyrainbowreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just want to know what Reefers think about stocking a tank. Can you overstock Coral in one tank? Let’s suppose your parameters are always in check via dosing and water changes. Can it hurt anything? What’s your thoughts and opinions?

Coral Your World

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
As many as you can comfortably fit and give adequate lighting on the understanding that they will compete for space and if they’re to close to others you may lose some

hawkeyejp82

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just want to know what Reefers think about stocking a tank. Can you overstock Coral in one tank? Let’s suppose your parameters are always in check via dosing and water changes. Can it hurt anything? What’s your thoughts and opinions?
I am by no means a seasoned reefer and I am still in the process of trying to setup my 200g reef tank (which is my first display Saltwater tank). That said I do feel there is something to be said for allowing corals the space to grow rather than forcing them to compete for space.

TheDragonsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mean you can fill every square inch of a tank with corals. The problem is keeping them from killing each other. Check out this thread

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am always amazed at seeing these beautiful colored tanks with various types of corals all over each other but everything seems to be thriving.

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes,

As they grow you will run into several problems you may not think of.

The first is rock space. That is the first thing people think of, is there enough rock for the coral to anchor to. But, there is more. Branching coral may use less rock but the branches grow out and may overlap. Now you are running into overshadowing as they are competing for light. And then they also compete for nutrients.

The best scenerio is to treat it like a garden. You can load up but trim and feterlize as it grows

OP
OP
Johnnyrainbowreefer

Johnnyrainbowreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Suppose you do slow growers like acan a
I am always amazed at seeing these beautiful colored tanks with various types of corals all over each other but everything seems to be thriving.
Here is My tank. I should have been more specific and asked lps only. But still getting a lot of good feedback

Attachments

• 8EF2C5BB-BD20-4ECD-A031-FED98F34025E.jpeg
    8EF2C5BB-BD20-4ECD-A031-FED98F34025E.jpeg
    168.7 KB · Views: 145

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Suppose you do slow growers like acan a
Here is My tank. I should have been more specific and asked lps only. But still getting a lot of good feedback

Way too many corals in that tank. However if you send me a couple acanthos and a scoly or two it would be just right ;)

CanuckReefer

Simple...Salt, Water, LR, Lighting and Flow.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well yes you can overstock if your elements and feeding aren't up to snuff....water changes would only keep up so long ...in saying that, if you know your corals well, they can mitigate some of these parameters. So really there is no easy answer to this question imo....

dk2nt9

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Come on, they grow, and grow fast. Sooner or later you either have to trim them, remove less interesting corals, increase tank size or set another tank. Space issue. For corals and for a flow, corals in a full blast close to the pump may do not too well.

HudsonReefer2.0

Algae Happens
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
As much as we love to pack our systems full of these amazing little nuggets of color they do mature and take up space and don’t get along so well. If u plan and place them accordingly u can optimize the real estate and have a great full looking tank that can b pruned. Fellow reefers like this. Hehehehe. I know I have a lot of those colorful nuggets and will b selling and redoing my scape to reflect my new direction. Happy Reefing

Aquaman11

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes,

As they grow you will run into several problems you may not think of.

The first is rock space. That is the first thing people think of, is there enough rock for the coral to anchor to. But, there is more. Branching coral may use less rock but the branches grow out and may overlap. Now you are running into overshadowing as they are competing for light. And then they also compete for nutrients.

The best scenerio is to treat it like a garden. You can load up but trim and feterlize as it grows
I like your garden analogy.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 18 7.9%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 39 17.2%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 153 67.4%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.6%
Back