Is there value is adding a chiller to a Profilux?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Macca_75

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Other than the obvious turn chiller's power on/off via a powerbar, is there value in adding a chiller to the Profilux?

If I power down the chiller when not needed (Teco TK500) and power it on based on a need to cool the tank, there is no guarantee the unit will power on with the correct settings.

The chillers says it should not run without circulation running through it, so MAYBE controlling the (dedicated) pump to be on or off.

Is there any other value in programming the Profilux with a chiller?

Do others actually power off there chiller for long periods of time and rely on it powering on with the correct settings? How/what do others do with a Profilux for a chiller?

I am tempted to keep the "chiller" function controlling a fan only unless I am missing something.

vangvace

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I plan on having my teco 1000 on the profilux. Mine runs too often to have it turn on and off regularily. My plan is to program so if temperatures are outside of a given range to shut it down and send an alert. I also have a flow sensor on the feed pump so if it falls below a threshhold to shut it down as well. Oh and for maintenance.

Once amperage alerts are a thing, I would think you could set a service alert if it is drawing too much/little power.

robbyg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Other than the obvious turn chiller's power on/off via a powerbar, is there value in adding a chiller to the Profilux?

Yes we do it for redundancy. Any piece of equipment like the Chiller or heater should have a redundancy system that kicks in just in case the main system fails and vice versa.

If I power down the chiller when not needed (Teco TK500) and power it on based on a need to cool the tank, there is no guarantee the unit will power on with the correct settings.

Thats a huge problem! If a Chiller loose its sets temp points after being powered off that just about makes it useless. Are you sure of this? What if you have a 2 minute power outage? Are you saying the chiller just does not come back on, or does it get set to some random temperature point. I have never seen a chiller do that.

The chillers says it should not run without circulation running through it, so MAYBE controlling the (dedicated) pump to be on or off.

That would be another reason to go through a controller but if your system resets on power going off it's a big problem.

Is there any other value in programming the Profilux with a chiller?
Do others actually power off there chiller for long periods of time and rely on it powering on with the correct settings? How/what do others do with a Profilux for a chiller?
Yes As I said redundancy and also in many cases further control over what happens
I don't use a Profilux but the programming goal is the same for all controllers.

Assuming the needed temp is 78 deg with a 1 deg upward swing.

Profilux would have programming something like this

Chiller Plug ON if Tank Temp > 77.5 And Chiller Pump = On
Chiller Plug OFF if Tank Temp < 77
Chiller Plug OFF if Chiller Water Pump = Off
Send Alarm if Tank Temp < 77.5
Send Alarm If Tank Temp > 79.5

The Chiller control unit would have a setting like this.

Plug ON if Temp > 79 deg
Plug OFF if Temp < 78 deg

I am tempted to keep the "chiller" function controlling a fan only unless I am missing something.

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

Macca_75

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@robbyg - I haven't tested what a power cycle does however with our weather here it may be used, them turn off for weeks, then come on. Big thing of trust assuming all settings are retained when an off cycle of that long (I am referring to a total power off, as opposed to the chiller being left turned on and just not chilling because in the internal thermostat doesn't need to turn it on). If the power is kept on no issues.

robbyg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@robbyg - I haven't tested what a power cycle does however with our weather here it may be used, them turn off for weeks, then come on. Big thing of trust assuming all settings are retained when an off cycle of that long (I am referring to a total power off, as opposed to the chiller being left turned on and just not chilling because in the internal thermostat doesn't need to turn it on). If the power is kept on no issues.

I am not sure what you mean as the chiller control unit will always be powered unless it went haywire and then the Profilux would alert you that something is wrong at 77.5 and then kill power to the chiller if the temp dropped below 77 deg. So long as the temp is above 77 deg the unit is powered.

I suggest whatever you decide to do you test it in all possible scenarios before just leaving it unattended. The alarm is there but I always do my critical program's early on a weekend and spend time throwing as many worst case scenarios at it as possible. It's as simple as using two plastic cups, one with cold water and one with warm water. See what happens as you dip both temperature probes in the same cup. Does everything switch On and Off at the points that you expected? Do the alarms go off at the points you set them to? What happens when all the power is cut for five minutes and then restored?

On a side note, most of these chiller controllers store the set points into non volatile memory. My Aqua Logic sat in a box for months before I got it and it still had the previous owners settings in it.

Last edited:

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 41 34.7%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 25 21.2%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.6%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.4%
Back