Is this 180G Tank Worth it?

bluewing823

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been keeping freshwater for forever, but completely new to saltwater. I found this used 180gallon complete setup with live rock, fish, and a coral on Offerup for $750. Can someone give their opinion on whether it is worth it? And is this setup an overkill or require any upgrades?

I plan on asking for more information about age, brand/model, and livestock health if it's worth considering.

Many thanks!

Tank1.JPG Tank2.jpg

jmichaelh7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
Nope, run.
Why?

Personally I would ask how old the tank is. Glass tanks can leak and it looks like it’s glass.

Consider how old and amount of stress it would put on seams to move .

Glass tanks used are a no go for me. I just have PTSD from used tank leaks though lol

You should notice how the overflow box is dead center in the display because the backdrop is not blacked out. Would that bother you ? Things like that is what can make you not like the tank months in after installing

ErikVR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glass tanks used are a no go for me. I just have PTSD from used tank leaks though lol
Yep.. Same here! Bought a used tank once. Only 3 years old but the thing still leaked within a few weeks after moving it. You never know what stress it has been under before buying it. Maybe the thing is only 3 years old but has spent a year outside or in a shed with massive temperature swings. Maybe it has been moved 3 times already.

jmichaelh7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
Yep.. Same here! Bought a used tank once. Only 3 years old but the thing still leaked within a few weeks after moving it. You never know what stress it has been under before buying it. Maybe the thing is only 3 years old but has spent a year outside or in a shed with massive temperature swings. Maybe it has been moved 3 times already.
Yes that’s a valid point too.

The one I bought was brand new but left in a shed . Year later leaked in middle of the night . Omg horror story . Worst nightmare at 2am waking up to sponge carpet full of water.

OP I’d say PASS brother . Start off the hobby right . It’s worth it in the long run and you don’t have to worry about the things mentioned

YOYOYOReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i would make an lesser Offer and buy all the items except the tank and stand and go find an acrylic aquarium. He can sell the tank and stand empty easier. It’s a lot of fish, rocks skimmer reactors etc.

Dbichler

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All these naysayers. Looks like a good deal to me. We all don’t have 10k to drop on a 180. This deal looks good so long as you check the tanks seems as well as sumps. No mention of what type of lights but we all know that with certain lights it could be worth the price alone or even the type of protein skimmer.

rhitee93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All these naysayers. Looks like a good deal to me. We all don’t have 10k to drop on a 180. This deal looks good so long as you check the tanks seems as well as sumps. No mention of what type of lights but we all know that with certain lights it could be worth the price alone or even the type of protein skimmer.

Yeah, I'm pushing $10k for the 120 I just put in my office. The sump alone cost as much as what they are asking for that entire setup. I think it's a good way to get into the hobby assuming everything looks to be in reasonable condition. There is a good chance that the OP will hate saltwater and move on after a year. They are also experienced enough with tanks to understand the risk of leaks.

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree. Just the fact that it's up and running would give me enough confidence to purchase of it wasn't too old. That's the reason I always leave tanks set up if I'm going to sell.

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
yep i'd say go for it, seams look good from pic, have 4 guys to help move...:)

OP
OP
B

bluewing823

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes that’s a valid point too.

The one I bought was brand new but left in a shed . Year later leaked in middle of the night . Omg horror story . Worst nightmare at 2am waking up to sponge carpet full of water.

OP I’d say PASS brother . Start off the hobby right . It’s worth it in the long run and you don’t have to worry about the things mentioned

I can relate to the water leak nightmare. Half a year ago, I had a main tank (freshwater) that was set up with 2 Eheim canister filters. One night, in the middle of the night, the power went out and my 6yr old Eheim Classic's pump head popped off (failed O-ring? flimsy clamps?). We woke up to about 30-40 gallons of water on the floor. All the fish survived but the flooring had to be replaced. We have marble floor now, so only need to replace the base boards if it happens again (hopefully not) :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

Last edited:

jmichaelh7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
I gave op advice based off experience with used glass tanks. Just because it’s running right now doesn’t mean when moving it you don’t bust a seam. Oh well this isn’t a debate so good luck op with your purchase !

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
wasn't meant to be,they'll be another,good luck... ;) :cool:

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 99 76.2%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.2%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

• I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back