Is this a eel, snake, or whatever and is it bad?

ajhudson15

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Eel or air bubble? We may never know!

But while we're at it, can anyone tell me what color this dress is? :)

Screen_Shot_2015-02-26_at_8.51.03_PM.png
NO WE ARENT STARTING THAT AGAIN LOL BTW FOR WHAT ITS WORTH. ITS BLUE

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,
New to the reef community and have looked through many posts but can't find this creature. My tank is officially cycled, so I purchased a hermit crab and a blenny. I put them in the tank. The next day they are nowhere to be found, they might be hiding as I have live rock. Anyway I started looking in the tank with a flash light in the rock and this thing scurried by it was about 8 inches long or so. You can't tell from the photos but it is inside a rock and on the other side.

what the heck is this and is it bad? How do I get rid of it? Any thoughts please let me know, I did install live rock in this tank from a live fish store. They had the rock in bins with a heater, and saltwater running for months.

Thank you,
Russell
IMG_1264.jpg
IMG_1263.jpg
IMG_1262.jpg
IMG_1256.jpg

InkedIMG_1265 (002)_LI.jpg
I vote for air bubble. Or maybe the Abominable Snowman

ZipAdeeZoa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Eel or air bubble? We may never know!

But while we're at it, can anyone tell me what color this dress is? :)

Screen_Shot_2015-02-26_at_8.51.03_PM.png
It's obviously a ribbon eel transitioning from black to blue! Wait, no- It's a banana moray with symmetrical rings of ich! WHAT HAVE YOU DONE!:confused:

In all seriousness The sheen leads me to believe air bubble over eel however I can see why you'd think that was an eel, after reading all the hitchhiker horror stories an eel certainly is not that far fetched! Is it possible the scurrying you saw could be the bubble moving in the current? I'd probably pull up a chair and watch it with the flashlight for a few minutes and see if theres any consistency to how it moves.if the edges seem to "roll" around the surfaces they touch then we're dealing with a bubble. A power head briefly pointed towards it should send it on its way!

ZipAdeeZoa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am so curious lol! What is it, so much suspense!

Maybe the eel jumped out and bit the OP so he can no longer respond lol
Mods might have had to remove the response, last time I had a snowflake attached to my finger some not so r2r friendly words came out;Hilarious

OP
OP
R

Russell Casey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you all for your information and thinking. I at first thought it was an air pocket, but when you go to the side with a flashlight, the creature moves its head and I saw it for a second, it looked like some type of snake head but to be fair I only saw it for a second. It is reflective, and looks slippery. When I put light on it, the creature moves and tightens up, I have never seen seen the head, only the body, but I can tell you when I put a light on it, the whatever it is scrunches up. Now if that is an air bubble fine, I just don't know if I have the guts to take the dang thing out (rock) and put it in freshwater and see whatever the hell comes out.

I will try to get another photo, of it. I have asked my neighbor for his webcam (it goes underwater). I like to just put it on motion detection and see if we see anything. If it is a snake or an eel, do you know what I could feed it? I am asking not to keep the dang thing, but to see if I give it some food it likes and if the food disappears. Someone I know who saw it with me thought medusa worm, but again not very sure. Is it possible that something like this can live on live rock and I just didn't notice it?

I will upload any video if my neighbor lets me borrow his reef cam. I have some good news, the hermit crab that was missing came out. The Blenny I haven't seen for three days. I put in Nori hoping to entice it out but I don't have a clue where the Blenny is.

My hope is that in a day or two I can get some video to know what I am dealing with. I don't have a clue how to handle an eel but I am sure there has to be protective gloves or something. This live rock was in a fish store, in a bin with other live rock and was from another person's aquarium. I didn't see any dang creatures on it, but I didn't rinse it in fresh water. Any thoughts appreciated.

Forgive my late reply, I didn't realize that I could tag this so I can see when others post, so I tagged it to my email.

OP
OP
R

Russell Casey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, did you poke it? What is it?? #eelbubble
I have to be honest I am scared beyond reason (and I am 6 foot one, and 225 and workout all the time) but that dang thing whatever it is scares the hell out of me. How would you reccomend I poke it and if it is like an eel not get bit? Perhaps a handle of some sort?

OP
OP
R

Russell Casey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Resembles an air bubble. But you saw it scurry ??
#reefsquad
Yes, I did that is what scared the ..... out of me. I was looking for the Blenny I put in the tank two days ago and haven't seen. I looked in the hole and when the light hit the hole, the dang thing whatever it was twisted itself in the rock about another two inches. When I went to the right side of the rock and shined a light the creature moved downward in the rock where I couldn't see him anymore but the end that I showed you. When it moved to me it seemed like it was 6-8 inches I saw the head so quick to me it looked like a snake but I will tell you I am not for sure as it scared the ..... out of me.

If it is an eel what would be a good meal for it? I was thinking to put the food on the top rock and leave it be. If the food goes away I know I have a problem, or do you have any other suggestions. The body of whatever it is shiny.

Back