Is this a eel, snake, or whatever and is it bad?

Geebs19

Give me all the Euphyllia
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats really odd and very intruiging. I agree it did look like an air bubble in the pics. Ive heard of people bringing home live rock and an eel being in them before.

Peter Clark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you all for your information and thinking. I at first thought it was an air pocket, but when you go to the side with a flashlight, the creature moves its head and I saw it for a second, it looked like some type of snake head but to be fair I only saw it for a second. It is reflective, and looks slippery. When I put light on it, the creature moves and tightens up, I have never seen seen the head, only the body, but I can tell you when I put a light on it, the whatever it is scrunches up. Now if that is an air bubble fine, I just don't know if I have the guts to take the dang thing out (rock) and put it in freshwater and see whatever the hell comes out.

I will try to get another photo, of it. I have asked my neighbor for his webcam (it goes underwater). I like to just put it on motion detection and see if we see anything. If it is a snake or an eel, do you know what I could feed it? I am asking not to keep the dang thing, but to see if I give it some food it likes and if the food disappears. Someone I know who saw it with me thought medusa worm, but again not very sure. Is it possible that something like this can live on live rock and I just didn't notice it?

I will upload any video if my neighbor lets me borrow his reef cam. I have some good news, the hermit crab that was missing came out. The Blenny I haven't seen for three days. I put in Nori hoping to entice it out but I don't have a clue where the Blenny is.

My hope is that in a day or two I can get some video to know what I am dealing with. I don't have a clue how to handle an eel but I am sure there has to be protective gloves or something. This live rock was in a fish store, in a bin with other live rock and was from another person's aquarium. I didn't see any dang creatures on it, but I didn't rinse it in fresh water. Any thoughts appreciated.

Forgive my late reply, I didn't realize that I could tag this so I can see when others post, so I tagged it to my email.
Ok now you have me REALLY interested. I MUST know! Is it actually reflective like that, or is that just an optical illusion of some form? I have no idea what your aquascape is like, but would you be able to slightly tilt the rock using a pole (like PVC pipe) or something? So if it were air it would escape, but assuming not it would give you a different angle maybe.

As for food, eels like meaty food. Shrimp for example. But then so do many other things, so if you have any crabs in there they could go for it too. And its been 10 years since I kept an eel (only just getting ready to get back into the hobby) and back then I really had no idea what I was doing and did everything wrong, so don't take my advice on anything haha.

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would pick up the rock, rotate it and the eel bubble will go to the top and dissapear.

Or point a powerhead at it...

Those are both great ideas. You could also go to down in the middle of the night and take a red light and see what it is. I found my brittle star that way.
I would put the camera on the exterior of the tank motion should still work. That way you know nothing bad will be introduced in the tank .

AZG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2a5a00974db881f62fa35e5e7b61ac0d.jpg

I think your Blenny might be a T-1000... just saying.

Zakery Murray

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The person is obviously a water bender from the water nation, making a bubble look like an eel!! duhhh

OP
OP
R

Russell Casey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Or point a powerhead at it...
Great idea I like that, it is safer that way just in case. I will be very happy if it is an air bubble. I have the new Nero so I will move it over and turn it up in that hole, great suggestion be back in touch.

OP
OP
R

Russell Casey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those are both great ideas. You could also go to down in the middle of the night and take a red light and see what it is. I found my brittle star that way.
I would put the camera on the exterior of the tank motion should still work. That way you know nothing bad will be introduced in the tank .
Good thinking, going to try the nozzle first, if that doesn't break it I will use your idea. Thank you...

OP
OP
R

Russell Casey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok now you have me REALLY interested. I MUST know! Is it actually reflective like that, or is that just an optical illusion of some form? I have no idea what your aquascape is like, but would you be able to slightly tilt the rock using a pole (like PVC pipe) or something? So if it were air it would escape, but assuming not it would give you a different angle maybe.

As for food, eels like meaty food. Shrimp for example. But then so do many other things, so if you have any crabs in there they could go for it too. And its been 10 years since I kept an eel (only just getting ready to get back into the hobby) and back then I really had no idea what I was doing and did everything wrong, so don't take my advice on anything haha.

Don't feel bad I get it I have done many things wrong, for one not taking the live rock and putting fresh water on it. I am going to do the power nozzle sometime tonight after my wife goes to bed. She is freaked out. I am going to stick that nozzle in that rock and give it 100% juice (Nero runs at 3000gph). This will take care of business, but be aware that if an eel actually pops the hell out I am going to have a heart attack lol.

OP
OP
R

Russell Casey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2a5a00974db881f62fa35e5e7b61ac0d.jpg

I think your Blenny might be a T-1000... just saying.
I honestly can't find my Blenny, don't know if he has eaten or was eaten :(. I am hoping he is just hiding for now. I am new to reefing and got bad advice and I should have asked experienced people like yourself what is a good first fish to get. Well you would have told me a lawnmower blenny needs algae to eat. I have no algae the tank just cycled so I have algae wafers and Marine S food, and added Nori on a rock today, so far nothing. But it has only been three days. I will solve this mystery tonight and put an update.

Terminator was an excellent movie :).

OP
OP
R

Russell Casey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats really odd and very intruiging. I agree it did look like an air bubble in the pics. Ive heard of people bringing home live rock and an eel being in them before.
We will find out after the wife goes to bed in a couple of hours. I will be putting a power nozzle at another member's suggestion.

OP
OP
R

Russell Casey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's obviously a ribbon eel transitioning from black to blue! Wait, no- It's a banana moray with symmetrical rings of ich! WHAT HAVE YOU DONE!:confused:

In all seriousness The sheen leads me to believe air bubble over eel however I can see why you'd think that was an eel, after reading all the hitchhiker horror stories an eel certainly is not that far fetched! Is it possible the scurrying you saw could be the bubble moving in the current? I'd probably pull up a chair and watch it with the flashlight for a few minutes and see if theres any consistency to how it moves.if the edges seem to "roll" around the surfaces they touch then we're dealing with a bubble. A power head briefly pointed towards it should send it on its way!

Reef Lover, that is a great suggestion and I am going to do that very thing and get back with you on page three :) If it is an air bubble I will bow and everyone can laugh, I am new at this. I can tell you it looked like an eel to me, but again wasn't expecting it so likely possibly seeing things.

ZipAdeeZoa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reef Lover, that is a great suggestion and I am going to do that very thing and get back with you on page three :) If it is an air bubble I will bow and everyone can laugh, I am new at this. I can tell you it looked like an eel to me, but again wasn't expecting it so likely possibly seeing things.
When your not expecting movement it can pretty much be a jump scare, just a few days ago I found pieces of my hermit crab all over the tank, got really sad an pulled up a stool to think about how he died. Then something came running out from the rocks and since the only other living thing in there had died it really caught me off guard and I actually fell off the stool. Turns out it was my hermit crab... He had just molted;Hilarious

Were all beginners at some point and were all going to make mistakes we'll be embarrassed when we look back at them. I personally love making those mistakes because it gives me and others something to laugh about!

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 65 39.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 36 21.8%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 58 35.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.6%
Back