Is this a eel, snake, or whatever and is it bad?

Russell Casey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,
New to the reef community and have looked through many posts but can't find this creature. My tank is officially cycled, so I purchased a hermit crab and a blenny. I put them in the tank. The next day they are nowhere to be found, they might be hiding as I have live rock. Anyway I started looking in the tank with a flash light in the rock and this thing scurried by it was about 8 inches long or so. You can't tell from the photos but it is inside a rock and on the other side.

what the heck is this and is it bad? How do I get rid of it? Any thoughts please let me know, I did install live rock in this tank from a live fish store. They had the rock in bins with a heater, and saltwater running for months.

Thank you,
Russell
IMG_1264.jpg
IMG_1263.jpg
IMG_1262.jpg
IMG_1256.jpg

InkedIMG_1265 (002)_LI.jpg

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol ok sure but they generally only move up not sideways or jerky like he described.

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like an eel to me as well. That is the way eels peek out of their holes and have their mouth open. Which by the way they will eat anything that can fit in that mouth! I once had a snowflake eel eat a fairly large clown tang.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 67 85.9%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 6.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.8%
Back