Is this a eel, snake, or whatever and is it bad?

mtfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know everyone is having a good time but this thread makes me feel like I am over at that other forum where they pile it on. The OP had a real question and of course you gave him the real answer, but I am not sure he is ever coming back, much less answer in this thread. Sure hate to run anyone off of here as there are tons of good people and good information. Just my 5 cents (inflation, you know).

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t think he took it as offense. We all are very invested and curious about his tank. We even got his thread trending, we are all having fun. Maybe he’s just enjoying his weekend. I checked his profile and he did pop on today at 1pm, but maybe he didn’t have time to respond. I’m sure he’ll update us.

tupes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The OP had a real question and of course you gave him the real answer, but I am not sure he is ever coming back, much less answer in this thread. Sure hate to run anyone off of here as there are tons of good people and good information. Just my 5 cents (inflation, you know).

According to his profile he was on at 12:33 today laughing at everyone because of how silly this 8 almost 9 page is getting crazy attention and he's not even posting.

donny619

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know everyone is having a good time but this thread makes me feel like I am over at that other forum where they pile it on. The OP had a real question and of course you gave him the real answer, but I am not sure he is ever coming back, much less answer in this thread. Sure hate to run anyone off of here as there are tons of good people and good information. Just my 5 cents (inflation, you know).

Going to have to agree with @mtfish . I think we're borderlining "mean" here. OP had a legit question and concern. I assume it's no different than the 17 "new posts" each day of "what's this in my tank? is it going to eat my fish?" -> post pic of bristle worm picture thread. But would definitely love to get a final update and resolution :)

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

Russell Casey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My apologies it took longer than I thought it would. We now have an answer is it a plane a train no its Superman. Are you ready, several of you posters were slightly right :).

It did look like an air bubble, what looked like an air bubble was actually Seachem Superglue was on the bottom inside of the rock. What I found wasn't an eel but a Medusa worm. I read it is okay to keep it in the tank. I was taking a photo of it, and I dropped my dang phone in the tank, and that phone is no longer with us. Thankfully I have an accidental policy but I digress.

I put the powerhead in the hole as suggested and nothing transpired. I looked under there and past the super glue their was movement. How I got it out from the rock was another poster's suggestion of putting someting in there. I found a longer qtip as it is tight where the rock and tank is. I put it in and lightly pushed it out back. That is when I realized it was what Garrett a friend of mine told me was likely a medusa worm. Like an idiot I put the iphone over the dang tank and zoomed in and got closer to the water and that is the end of that phone.

Mystery solved, thank you for the journey in reefing. I have learned two valuable lessons. 1) Always put fresh water on live rock, before putting it in the tank. 2) In the name of God never use an iphone to take a photo in tank, use camera with a strap.

Thank you for the journey, this community and suggestions were excellent. I am glad it wasn't a dang eel as I think I would have had a heart attack. What is interesting is I still can't find my lawnmower blennie, found the hermit crab. The tank numbers are excellent and I looked around the dang floor, couch for the Blennie, perhaps he is still alive it would be day five since I got him.

I put in two PJ Cardinals today, very small as my hope is if the Blennie is alive that he will see the two cardinals and possibly come out. The ammonia would be out of this world, correct if the Blennie was dead right? Right now with a Saiffert kit Amonia for the last four days has been 0.00. I checked the overflow, and the sump any suggestions appreciated.

By the way the worm wasn't eight inches he was more like 4.5 or so. So perhaps it was just fear and the surprise not expecting to see him. I apologize for the response time I was completing my dang taxes and didn't want to get to the tank, because I was involved with business and had to pull up all the unfun stuff like cost of goods sold, link it to the amount sold, invoices etc. Any info on the Blennie is appreciated.

OP
OP
R

Russell Casey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I forgot to say as well I did read all the new comments, and appreciate the community here!!! I had no idea this would take off :). I laughed about the poster who put the photo of the dress, and other posts. Thank you for your insight and I appreciate the community and your love for reefing. I have been at this such a short time, and it is great to know there is a community of people that love it and live this much longer than I have. Thank you and if you were offended for my so response please understand it wasn't personal I didn't get to the dang thing until Sunday later because I was dreading doing it. I can't lie I am a tough guy but that thing scared the hell out of me :).

dsinsocal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going to suggest *not* poking a medusa worm with a Q-tip. A stressed medusa worm can emit a deadly toxin that will nuke every fish in your tank. This is especially true if one happens to get sucked into a powerhead or something.

OP
OP
R

Russell Casey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going to suggest *not* poking a medusa worm with a Q-tip. A stressed medusa worm can emit a deadly toxin that will nuke every fish in your tank. This is especially true if one happens to get sucked into a powerhead or something.
Yes I won't poke it again, thanks for letting me know, that would have sucked an Iphone ruined, toxic poison being released, the life of a reefer (newbie) lol.

OP
OP
R

Russell Casey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I cannot tell you how glad I am to have some resolution on this. I would wonder about this thread several times a day. @Russell Casey welcome to R2R and thank you for taking the jokes so well!
My pleasure, it is nice to have a fun community, thanks for your insight as well.

Peter Clark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow such an unexpected end twist. I love it! And we were right about a causality, it just happened to be a phone. Glad you didn't get hurt or have a heart attack. And thank you very much for this fun thread!

Fish sometimes disappear without a trace. May never know what happened to the blenny.

Dancingmad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Woo hoo! Resolution feels good. Take it easy n' slow buddy. The reef journey is one best savored. There's a lot to read here, and take in from other's experience and expertise! Don't reef how how I eat some ribs: It just makes a mess and you get judgmental looks from your spouse (e.g. "How did you get BBQ Sauce in whats left of your hair?"). :D

Fish sometimes disappear without a trace

Aye, true story: The reef giveth and the reef taketh away.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 45 40.9%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 23 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 39 35.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back