Is this a feather duster making a crawl for it?

ThunderGoose

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Nov 25, 2016
Messages
938
Reaction score
1,176
Location
Beverly, Mass
What state or country do you live in
Massachusetts
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yesterday I added a new feather duster to my tank. This evening I spotted this on the rock near where the feather duster casing sits. Is this the feather duster? I'm a bit worried that my sexy shrimp are interested in it.

I've had mixed results with these guys - some I've had for a year (still going...), others shed their "feathers" and died shortly after arrival. I've never had one move, although I've heard they will. This is only a 10 gallon tank so if it dies I'm worried about a spike in nitrates. Guess I'll make small, daily water changes for a bit just in case.
 
Let's try that picture again...
2018 May 3 - feather duster.jpg
 
Unfortunately that's what it looks like. It also looks like the shrimp are picking at it. I would remove it.
 
what is the name of fish in the pic? Hope the duster is ok.

That is a masked goby. They stay small and are very active so they're great for nano tanks.

The feather duster worm has disappeared. We'll see if it shows up again. IMHO they either die quickly or do well, about 50-50.
 
cool little fish ! I'm looking for" small "colorful & peaceful fish for a 75. let us know if the feather shows up ! I wouldn't be surprised . Do they have the ability to move? I mean they have a hardened tube right? Be kinda difficult to drag the thing around. So no tube or anything? Very interesting.
 
@cracker get a flasher wrasse for your 75. Super peaceful and the epitome of colorful
 
cool little fish ! I'm looking for" small "colorful & peaceful fish for a 75. let us know if the feather shows up ! I wouldn't be surprised . Do they have the ability to move? I mean they have a hardened tube right? Be kinda difficult to drag the thing around. So no tube or anything? Very interesting.

These are VERY small. I second the flasher wrasse suggestion for a 75. The masked gobies are similar in size to a neon tetra. However, if you are interested they're from KP aquatics.
 
@ThunderGoose do the masked gobies school/shoal at all?

They don't really school. They are usually a bit spread out. Three of them hang around various areas of the tank like you would expect but one of them has decided she's a watchman type goby and had dug herself a little burrow. I'm thinking of adding a snapping shrimp to see if she'll pair with it.
 
They don't really school. They are usually a bit spread out. Three of them hang around various areas of the tank like you would expect but one of them has decided she's a watchman type goby and had dug herself a little burrow. I'm thinking of adding a snapping shrimp to see if she'll pair with it.

Awh that's a shame. IMO they would look great swimming in between the branches of some acros in a SPS tank. I'd get some for my 32 gal but I guarantee that my clowns will murder them
 

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 7 25.0%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 14 50.0%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 3 10.7%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 10 35.7%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 4 14.3%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 14 50.0%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 8 28.6%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 4 14.3%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new