Is this a good deal?

Tiffany Garcia

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi! I'm just starting in the reef hobby and wanted to see if you could look at this and tell me if this is a good first setup? I know I will have to replace some things and that's ok. This will be a mandarin only tank setup (waiting 6 mo. to a year to build up a great pod population and plan to try to culture them as well). Any comments are much appreciated. Thank you!
inCollage_20190723_085027632.jpeg

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think it is horribly overpriced since it comes with the skimmer, sump, RO/DI, 3 powerheads, lighting, etc. I guess it depends on the condition of the equipment and what you plan on using/not using.

Last edited:

Bob Loblaw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While it comes with most of the equip needed, the equip is low tier with the exception of the skimmer but it's a refurb. Low tier items don't command the price being asked.

OP
OP
Tiffany Garcia

Tiffany Garcia

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Way overpriced imo.

ETA-- tank is the only item of value in the deal but the overflow/loop leave much to be desired aesthetically.
What is the Overflow/Loop? Is that the connections in the tank? Can you tell me what you see wrong with it and can I fix it?

OP
OP
Tiffany Garcia

Tiffany Garcia

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think it is horribly overpriced since it comes with the RO skimmer, sump, RO/DI, 3 powerheads, lighting, etc. I guess it depends on the condition of the equipment and what you plan on using/not using.
I was just going to use everything I could from it since I have no idea what I am doing even with months of research. There is so much information and none of it is consistent lol

Fudsey

Jack of all trades, Master of none ;-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not that bad of a deal but I would offer $350 and don't go much higher. I would also replace the 2 white elbows for gray to blend in better. The skimmer could be cleaned and may need a new pump, but also may just need to be run in a vinegar solution to clean it. The bulbs for the light are going to be around another $100 or more depending on the MH one. Most of the equipment looks to be ok and if you are just going to run it for fish than it will do well even without the MH bulb. If you decide to make a reef, then you will need that bulb and will need to probably keep any corals closer to the center where the MH bulb is. Watch those Koralia pumps too. I had 2 fail and were adding stray current to my tank. Felt it when trying to change socks.

Adventures In Reefing

Semper Fidelis
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can do better in my opinion. I think $250.00 to $300.00 is more realistic for what they are offering. Even then everything has been either custom built or modified which always makes me leary if I didn't do it myself.

OP
OP
Tiffany Garcia

Tiffany Garcia

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not that bad of a deal but I would offer $350 and don't go much higher. I would also replace the 2 white elbows for gray to blend in better. The skimmer could be cleaned and may need a new pump, but also may just need to be run in a vinegar solution to clean it. The bulbs for the light are going to be around another $100 or more depending on the MH one. Most of the equipment looks to be ok and if you are just going to run it for fish than it will do well even without the MH bulb. If you decide to make a reef, then you will need that bulb and will need to probably keep any corals closer to the center where the MH bulb is. Watch those Koralia pumps too. I had 2 fail and were adding stray current to my tank. Felt it when trying to change socks.
Yea, I think I am going to pass and so glad I asked here before buying...thank you!

OP
OP
Tiffany Garcia

Tiffany Garcia

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can do better in my opinion. I think $250.00 to $300.00 is more realistic for what they are offering. Even then everything has been either custom built or modified which always makes me leary if I didn't do it myself.
Ok, will do guess I may just have to pay for the Red Reefer 250 I want =)

Adventures In Reefing

Semper Fidelis
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should always get what you truly want anyways. First it will be worth more if you ever want to upgrade. Second you will be looking at something you are truly not happy with daily and that will create anxiety. You deserve the best you can afford! So do the animals you you want to give a home to.

ReefChef19

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I finally pulled the trigger and got the reefer 750xxl that I wanted. I shopped around for deals, until I finally said heck with it I'll just get what I want. I think you'll be very pleased with the red sea. I have been very pleased with the quality so far, I built the stand and will be placing the tank this evening. It's just a beautiful set up.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Price was fair but Not a deal. You made the right decision IMO

Captain Quint

Plank Owner of the Orca
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I finally pulled the trigger and got the reefer 750xxl that I wanted. I shopped around for deals, until I finally said heck with it I'll just get what I want. I think you'll be very pleased with the red sea. I have been very pleased with the quality so far, I built the stand and will be placing the tank this evening. It's just a beautiful set up.

Congrats. I know you like it.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Now you got a Real Tank and one that is successful for its' owners and one you will be truly happy with

OP
OP
Tiffany Garcia

Tiffany Garcia

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are beautiful right? I really love the look of the Red Reefers. I thought about the 170 but I don't think it has a large enough footprint for a mandarin and pods I want to populate

OP
OP
Tiffany Garcia

Tiffany Garcia

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While it comes with most of the equip needed, the equip is low tier with the exception of the skimmer but it's a refurb. Low tier items don't command the price being asked.
Thank you again, I have some idea on what is good but not enough knowledge.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 20 36.4%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 13 23.6%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 11 20.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 11 20.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back