Is this a good pickup? also algae phase question

Benga

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone, I know someone selling this 200W LED Grow Light for $40 and so I was thinking of just putting it in my sump soon for chaeto instead of those 65W CFL bulbs. Seems like it has good spectrum and output and would work for chaeto. What do you all think? good pickup or nah?

http://www.tent2table.com/_p/prd14/2985046071/product/cg40x5---200w-led-grow-light

instead of this

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B072HNNSFZ/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=AZ8QFH3GCIATY&psc=1

or this(current)

https://www.amazon.com/LimoStudio-P...UTF8&qid=1511074226&sr=8-8&keywords=65w+6500k

Also it looks like my tank is hitting the algae phase finally as I see a bunch of diatoms blooming all over, but my chaeto hob finnex box seems to have the most algae is this because I leave the CFL on 24/7? It's definitely growing like crazy though already double its initial size. Should I only have the chaeto light on while my display tank light is on?

https://i.imgur.com/gjZiFLN.jpg

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Changing out that cfl bulb to a 18w par38 from home depot for $18 would be a better choice. Macro algaes respond better to warm white than to the reds and blues used in grow lights. These red and blues actually feed cyano and other nuisance algaes.

Instigate

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Changing out that cfl bulb to a 18w par38 from home depot for $18 would be a better choice. Macro algaes respond better to warm white than to the reds and blues used in grow lights. These red and blues actually feed cyano and other nuisance algaes.
Wasn't the kessil grow light the best performer in the brs test?

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I totally disagree.

Sincerely Lasse

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wasn't the kessil grow light the best performer in the brs test?

I totally disagree.

Sincerely Lasse

My experience, I used a kessil in my refugium and it was a disgusting mess. I changed to a par38 and my macros are doing great without the growth of the other disgusting algaes and cyano.

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My experiences - only red 630 - 660 nm blue 410 - 450 nm. No algae at all, take out around 1.3 gallons chaeto every 15 days in a fuge volume of 8 gallon - not bad I think. there is lot of experiences that this combination work well. But i hold up my nitrates between 0.5 - 10 ppm and phosphates around 0.02-0.1 ppm. Also adding strontium and iodine. I have run this setup for more than 1.5 years - never, ever have any growth of cyano or nuisance algae. With this powerful lights (read wavelengths) its important that NO3, PO4 and other important nutrients not goes to zero.

Sincerely Lasse

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Light is good.

The hoB is also a gravity filter. I'd bet it's trapping detritus. I clean mine once a month or every other when I do a WC. I've run HOB fuges for about 8 years.

I'd bet it has nothing to do with light.

My .02

OP
OP
Benga

Benga

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Light is good.

The hoB is also a gravity filter. I'd bet it's trapping detritus. I clean mine once a month or every other when I do a WC. I've run HOB fuges for about 8 years.

I'd bet it has nothing to do with light.

My .02

Agree with you completely, I can already see it being a detritus trap so to help alleviate it in the meantime i got two lines pulling water from the bottom of the box feeding back into the tank as well. Should be fine though until I get my sump setup.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 41.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 11 22.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 16 33.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.1%
Back