Is this a good stock list for a 55 gallon? Open to advice. Help me get it right the first time .

ReefKeeper666

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so I have a 55 gallon established tank. I have corals in it and some turbo snails and peppermint shrimp. I had velvet and I’m 2.5 weeks out from 46 days. So I’ll be restocking from scratch. I managed to save my pajama cardinal and hes doing ok in QT. So he will be number 1. Please review this list and let me know if it’s good. I plan to place them in the tank in number order so even advice on switching up the order is welcome. Thanks.

1. Pajama Cardinal
2.watchman Goby
3. Green clown Goby
4. 6 line wrasse (open to other wrasse suggestions)
5/6 2 dotty backs
7/8 2 OC clowns
9 Damsel

reefwiser

LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wouldn’t get the damsels or pajama cardinals. Damsels too mean and cardinals don’t swim around enough.

Difrano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. Pajama Cardinal
2.watchman Goby
3. Green clown Goby
4. 6 line wrasse (open to other wrasse suggestions)
5/6 2 dotty backs
7/8 2 OC clowns
9 Damsel

1. You already have one, consider getting another so they can pair.
2. Great fish I love mine, consider a goby pistol shrimp they are awesome together (If you have sand).
3. Good with SPS corals.
4 and 5/6. Wrasses an dotty backs can get really bad on a 55 gal.
5/6. I personally hate dotty backs, they are murderers by nature, one dotty back wiped out almost all my fish in my 32 gallon in 3 days, plus they are impossible to catch if they become a nuisance without tearing the tank apart. Only my female clown was able to kill the dotty back.
5/6 and 7/8, same as 4, there could be aggression, leading to murder.
9. Damsel, another hot topic could be a hit or miss, always introduce them last, in my new 65 gallons I introduced 2 yellowtail damsels after my 2 clowns were established, I created 2 totally separated rock structures on each side of the tank for this purpose to have clowns and damsels on the same tank, the clowns claimed the right one, and after some minor territorial fight the damsels claimed the left one, there is no aggression unless one of them crosses the mid tank imaginary line, and is just chasing the trespasser back to it side. On the left structure the damsels live in happy harmony with 2 firefish, 1 Yellow watchman goby and 1 tiger pistol, on the right side the 2 clowns share house with a yellow Tang. My kids call the left structure Damsel nation and the right one Clown nation :), plus there are 2 yellowline goby cleaners that move all over the place, my kids say that they have double passports ;Happy. I love to watch the tank for hours when sitting on my couch and see how the fish interact.

Those are just my suggestion, but I consider wrasse + clown + dotty back + damsel to become a bloodbath.

OP
OP
ReefKeeper666

ReefKeeper666

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok appreciate it.
1. You already have one, consider getting another so they can pair.
2. Great fish I love mine, consider a goby pistol shrimp they are awesome together (If you have sand).
3. Good with SPS corals.
4 and 5/6. Wrasses an dotty backs can get really bad on a 55 gal.
5/6. I personally hate dotty backs, they are murderers by nature, one dotty back wiped out almost all my fish in my 32 gallon in 3 days, plus they are impossible to catch if they become a nuisance without tearing the tank apart. Only my female clown was able to kill the dotty back.
5/6 and 7/8, same as 4, there could be aggression, leading to murder.
9. Damsel, another hot topic could be a hit or miss, always introduce them last, in my new 65 gallons I introduced 2 yellowtail damsels after my 2 clowns were established, I created 2 totally separated rock structures on each side of the tank for this purpose to have clowns and damsels on the same tank, the clowns claimed the right one, and after some minor territorial fight the damsels claimed the left one, there is no aggression unless one of them crosses the mid tank imaginary line, and is just chasing the trespasser back to it side. On the left structure the damsels live in happy harmony with 2 firefish, 1 Yellow watchman goby and 1 tiger pistol, on the right side the 2 clowns share house with a yellow Tang. My kids call the left structure Damsel nation and the right one Clown nation :), plus there are 2 yellowline goby cleaners that move all over the place, my kids say that they have double passports ;Happy. I love to watch the tank for hours when sitting on my couch and see how the fish interact.

Those are just my suggestion, but I consider wrasse + clown + dotty back + damsel to become a bloodbath.
Ok great appreciate the help.so essentially 1-3 is good. Would want to have clowns. What would be safe replacements for the wrasse dotty backs and damsels?

joec

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Skip the dottybacks, the six line, and the damsel, can be very mean. The clown pair can be mean too they are damsels but probably ok, add last

A pinks streaked wrasse is a good choice or a possum wrasse, but only with peaceful tank mates. You can add a flasher wrasse, a basslet, a blenny, all good choices

Last edited:
OP
OP
ReefKeeper666

ReefKeeper666

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Skip the dottybacks, the six line, and the damsel, can be very mean. The clown pair can be mean too they are damsels but probably ok, add last

A pinks streaked wrasse is a good choice, but only with peaceful tank mates. You can add a flasher wrasse, a basslet, a blenny, all good choices
Ok sounds good!

joec

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would just do one basslet in that tank unless you chose chalk bass, then you could add a trio of those. They are cool fish, and cheap to buy

OP
OP
ReefKeeper666

ReefKeeper666

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok revised list guys. Will do them in number order. If the numbers aren’t right please tell me what to swap.
1. Pajama Cardinal
2.watchman Goby
3. Green clown Goby
4. Midas Blenny
5. pink streak wrasse
6. royal gramma or black capped basslet
7/8 2 OC clowns

joec

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would chose either or on the basslet, not both, or chose chalk bass if you want more than one basslett, otherwise, it looks good

joec

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Three chalk best might be better so of there is any aggression, to could be spread out, but I think two would be fine to try

Order:

1. Pajama Cardinal
2. Pinks streaked
3. Clown Goby
1-3 the order really does not matter
4. Watchman Goby
5. royal gramma or black capped basslet or chalk bass
6 Midas
7//8 2 OC clowns

9 fish is probably pushing it

joec

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some Midas can be aggressive and nippy particulary in a smaller tank. You could change it to a tailspot blenny, I have one they are GREAT!

I think you would be fine with Midas also

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 67 35.4%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 25.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 60 31.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.2%
Back